Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th October 2008, 05:49 PM   #1
kisak

Default Swedish naval cutlass m/1849

Found this one a few years ago on top of a cabinet in my grandmother's basement lying together with a bunch of light armatures, electrical wires, and such while looking for a soldering iron. Asking around just what a sword was doing down in the basement, it turns out that it's history in the family goes back to my grandmother's childhood. After her mother died, her father hired a maid instead to take care of the house. One day they were all over for dinner with the maid's sister's place, where this sword apparently became something of a conversation piece, and it ended up being given as a gift to my great grandfather. A few decades later my mother and uncle is to have had much fun playing knights and such with it, before it ended up forgotten on top of that cabinet.

Anyway, it's most likely a Swedish navy's cutlass m/1849. (The "cutlass" part simply translating the Swedish word "huggare", without regards to how suitable the term is in English.) However, it's the same basic model as the British m/1804, which also saw some service with the Norwegian navy (after the Norwegians captured a large number of the from the British naval vessels Seagull and Allart in 1808 and 1809). I can't find any stamps on it that I know to be Swedish (the only stamp being a crown, which I haven't been able to identify), and as such it isn't entirely clear where it comes from. However, I've seen a pair of these with identical stamps turn up at an auction here in Sweden, and this one has been here at least since my grandmother was a child (so probably the twenties), so I think it's highly likely that this is indeed how the Swedish m/1849 were stamped. I would of course be all ears if anyone could provide some information on the stamp.

The m/1849 seems to have been the third, and last, major sword purchase from Britain for Sweden. In 1808 there had been a severe shortage of swords, so 2000 each of the 1796LC and m/1807 were bought, and given to the artillery and heavy cavalry respectively.

Hilt and grip made from iron. Mine is about 84cm and 1025g total.
Attached Images

kisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 02:11 AM   #2
celtan

Hi Kisak,

Here's mine

The spanish made a version with a different diamond crosscut shaped blade.
I believe Portugal, Germany and even America bought some of these from Britain. I have been told that the Crown is not of the type used by Sweden.

celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 05:52 AM   #3
kisak

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
I have been told that the Crown is not of the type used by Sweden.
I've heard that suggested as well, but when the three examples I've seen here in Sweden are all stamped like that, it makes one wonder. The lack of the navy scrap stamp would seem to point to a non-Swedish origin though, I guess I'll have to start looking very closely at other Swedish navy swords at the upcoming auctions to see how common it is to find such blades without it.

I did find an image cached in google a few years back from a Dutch (if my memory is correct) auction house which seemed to be of an identical sword, but with the crown filled with gold (or at least some yellow metal). Seems I didn't save it though.

The two pictures of an m/1849 in Berg's Svenska Blankvapen vol 5 unfortunately shows the wrong side, so no help there.
Old 11th October 2008, 06:38 AM   #4
M ELEY

I'm glad to see some mention of this pattern of sword, since there isn't much info on the type. I have one of these with the GR and crown with small cross at it's top, typical of the British pattern, but the GR are in block letters. The crown on yours, though incomplete, very closely resembles mine. This crown is different from the older Brit patterns and I wonder if it were a later stamping or perhaps an export stamp? I know that Germany was making knock-offs of the pattern into the 1840s-50s, as well as Spain, but was completely unaware of a Swedish pattern. Fascinating, and explains how some of these "figure of eight" swords look 'newer' than others, based on the length of use far beyond the early 19th century.
While discussing this pattern, do you have any information on the lead cutter swords? I could never understand if these were un-issued or de-acquisitioned swords or just tools. Were there any lead cutter patterns found in other countries? Sorry to break in to your post, but I do love this pattern of sword and it's mysteries...

Last edited by M ELEY; 11th October 2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Spelling!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 12:07 PM   #5
celtan

Hi Guys,

I understand that the brit. scrap marks were made after the swords were decommissioned, as when the ship they belonged to was broken off and sent to the salvage yards. Export swords shouldn't have had one, nor would they have RN markings.

Best regards

Manuel Luis
Old 11th October 2008, 03:26 PM   #6
kisak

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
I wonder if it were a later stamping or perhaps an export stamp? /.../ based on the length of use far beyond the early 19th century.
While discussing this pattern, do you have any information on the lead cutter swords?
I haven't found any makers mark on mine, so the idea of some sort of "Made in Britain" stamp, or perhaps a special makers mark for export use feels possible to me.

The lead cutters aren't anything I'm familiar with. I've never heard of any such here in Sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
I understand that the brit. scrap marks were made after the swords were decommissioned
I was talking about the Swedish navy's scrap mark, sorry of that was a bit unclear.
Old 11th October 2008, 04:07 PM   #7
celtan

Actually, it was my mistake. Upon reading it again, It's obvious that you were referring to the swedish, and not the british navy.

Best

M