Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th June 2008, 02:34 AM   #1
Bill M

Default Good Viking Movie

More about exploration and conquests than weapons, but visually stunning!

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Vikings...3?trkid=226870
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Bill

Always close to my heart Bill. Thanks for pointing this out, I will find a copy for sure.

I have seen a number of good sword specific books available on the vikings by leading authorities but another less known book that comes to mind is "The Viking Art of War" by Paddy Griffith, it covers all aspects of tactics and weapons on land and at sea.
If anyone wishes to know other titles of interest that cover the history of these most important sea rovers, feel free to PM me and I'll pass on a long list of what titles I have on my shelves.
For those who want a fantastic fictional read and a great escape from day to day life, you can't go past what I personnaly consider the greatest novels ever written on the subject "The Long Ships" by Frans Bengtsson.
If you wish to have insight into their proverbs, read all you can on the subject "Havamal", words of wisdom from the Vikings lifestyle.
I guess many in America too would take an interest in these people, as I understand it, a vast amount of the American constitution is attributed to these settlers of North America and their codes for living.

Thanks again Bill.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 03:28 PM   #3
VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
...For those who want a fantastic fictional read and a great escape from day to day life, you can't go past what I personnaly consider the greatest novels ever written on the subject "The Long Ships" by Frans Bengtsson...
I fully agree!

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Bill M

"The Long Ships" was a lot more interesting than "The Long Knarrs."

The movie said they found one Viking long ship that was 120 feet long. They had thought that the legends of ships that long were myths.

I was amazed at the territories they conquered. A LOT of land. Also why they called it "Iceland" when it was mostly green and "Greenland" when 85% of its land surface is covered with ice averaging two miles thick!

All in all a wonderful movie. Filmed in IMAX. Still looked good on my screen.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote