Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th April 2008, 10:08 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Silver mounted badek for coments

Badek ... badik ... badiik. I see all three versions out there; which one would be correct ?
The blade is 10" (25 cms.) long.
The seller dated it 18-19th century ... would 18th make some sense ?
Some signs of restoring can be seen on the wooden parts.
I wonder whether this is a current piece or a bit of a "presumptious" example, with its silver mountings ... i mean in its due period.
Would anyone care to coment on it ?
I would be most gratefull.
Fernando
Attached Images

fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 12:09 AM   #2
CharlesS

Lovely example with a nice pamor blade, and nice silver bolster,

I think I am most impressed by the silver scabbard fittings that appear to be legitimate old ones, which are getting harder and harder to find.

Nice catch!!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 12:16 AM   #3
fernando

Thank you Charles.
Silver fittings undoubtfully originals, as checked at sight.
Any opinnion on its age, judging by its pattern ?
Old 20th April 2008, 12:49 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A BEAUTIFUL EXAMPLE ,TOP QUALITY WORKMANSHIP WITH SOME AGE TO IT.
I COULD BE OFF ON THIS OBSERVATION BUT MOST OF THE BADEK I HAVE SEEN ARE MUCH MORE PLAIN AND DON'T HAVE THE TOP QUALITY SILVER WORK. I HAVE SEEN THIS QUALITY OF WORK MORE OFTEN ON KLEWANGS AND LARGER WEAPONS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 01:42 AM   #5
Newsteel

Very nice and rarely we could find badik with finely repoussed silver works with floral motifs. As Vandoo said, it's often found on klewang and pedang. I've seen it on Sumatran sewar as well. Normally we can expect this this kind of elaborate silver works pieces to be dated 19th century. The blade could be much older, maybe late 18th century where new silver fittings were added on later.
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 09:31 AM   #6
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Badek ... badik ... badiik. I see all three versions out there; which one would be correct ?
Would anyone care to coment on it ?
I would be most gratefull.
Fernando
as we are transliterating a word from a non western language into a western phonetic alphabet, all of them are valid, as would other spellings with the same sound...even amongst native english speakers from differing countries, ie. USA, UK, Australia & NZ, the pronunciation of vowels, AEIOU (& sometimes Y) has drifted. i personally prefer 'badek' for my similar but lesser one ('badik' is used by buttin on the forum's sister Reference Site ) the 'badek' i was sold by a malaysian dealer was spelled 'badek' in his ads for it. (not this one tho)

Last edited by kronckew; 20th April 2008 at 09:53 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 07:23 PM   #7
fernando

Thank you for your kind words, Barry and Newsteel

I thaught i would post today the decoration on the scabbard opposite side. Yesterday i didn't notice that the two sides had a different detail ... i had bought this piece a couple hours before i took the first pictures .

Thank you Kronckew, for the hint on the spelling. Once you mention the different vowels pronunciation amongst the various english speaking natives, i can not ignore that latinic languages have a completely distinct sound for them. Being phonetics the main reason for the different transliterations, i guess that Badik will be the closest sound/spell for me to adopt
Fernando
PS
Isn't Buttin French ( latinic) speaking ?
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 20th April 2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 20th April 2008, 10:36 PM   #8
CharlesS

I tend to be very conservative about dating...at least that's what I am told.

I would say the blade is 19th century. The silver work is a tougher call because similar to identical patterns are used today in low grade silver work for both new pieces and restorations.

The central panel of silver work is more common(today) than the work at the scabbard mouth in my opinion, so I think in combination this is very old work, certainly no later then very early 20th Century.....just my opinion.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 11:33 PM   #9
Gonzalo G

Excuse me, does any of you have historical references about this kind of work in silver? I mean, it can only be made chiselled from "above" with the scabbard already formed and soldered, or it can be made with a combination of repousee and chiselling, from both sides of the open piece, and the scabbard finally been closed and soldered, which is a very difficult thing to do as the fitting among the borders would be distorted by the previous work. I´ve read many times the use of the word "repousee" applied to both kind of techniques. Chiselling can also be made creating different levels on the surface (volumes), and not only as a plain one level draw. Thank you.
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 12:32 PM   #10
asomotif

Dear Gonzalo,

Nice badek. Good addition to any collection.
I have no historical info on this workmanship.
But I am told that this work needs working from both sides of the metal sheet.
If this is done the old way a lot of work and time goed into it.
The metal must be heated and cooled down between the forging to prevent it from cracking.
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 09:19 PM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

Gonzalo, chiseling refers to more of an engraving process where material is removed from the surface. Repousse is where the sheet metal must be thin and hammered from both sides (one side would be called chasing). Asomotif is right in that the material for repousse must be reheated constantly.

Nice repousse on the badik scabbard.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 12:09 AM   #12
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
... Nice repousse on the badik scabbard.
Nice to hear that, José.
I see that this time i've got myself a decent piece.
Fernando
Old 24th April 2008, 12:00 PM   #13
asomotif

PHP Code:
I see that this time i've got myself a decent piece. 
Very decent IMHO
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 01:06 PM   #14
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
... Very decent IMHO
Oh boy ... thanks a lot Willem
Old 24th April 2008, 03:41 PM   #15
Mark

The designs look Burmese to me (see example below). Maybe it is from southern Burma. They are used in both Burma and Thailand, undoubtedly due to the Malaysian influence (not the other way around).
Attached Images

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 08:23 PM   #16
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
as we are transliterating a word from a non western language into a western phonetic alphabet, all of them are valid, as would other spellings with the same sound...even amongst native english speakers from differing countries, ie. USA, UK, Australia & NZ, the pronunciation of vowels, AEIOU (& sometimes Y) has drifted. i personally prefer 'badek' for my similar but lesser one ('badik' is used by buttin on the forum's sister Reference Site ) the 'badek' i was sold by a malaysian dealer was spelled 'badek' in his ads for it. (not this one tho)
A very good point on the naming, how we see it written is often westernized. The other thing to remember is that there are a number of different peoples living close to each other each with thier own dialects in this part of the world. The name for the same blade would be differerent in Gayo than Alas, still different in Sumatran. Batak etc. this particular one is listed as Badek, Bade, Badee, Badi, Badi Badi, Badik, Badik Badik and Badit in "Traditional Weapons of the Indonesian Archipeligo.

Last edited by RhysMichael; 24th April 2008 at 08:34 PM.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 12:33 AM   #17
A. G. Maisey

In Jawa this type of dagger is named "badhik"; badik is acceptable.

The type of silver work on the one under discussion appears to be exactly the same type of work that is currently used to make pendok and other silver items in Jogja and surrounds. This is done by first fabricating the form, then filling it with wax and applying the motif by hammering with different types of punches.When the work is finished the wax is removed by boiling the pendok. During the work process the pendok is held firm in a bed of hard wax.

I understand that the Dutch introduced this silver working technique in the 19th century.

The photos with this post are of two badhik in my possession. According to Javanese people with whom I have spoken and who have some knowledge in this field, these two badhik are of Javanese origin.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 02:55 PM   #18
Mark

Interesting information on the manufacturing technique. It is almost exactly the same as is used in Burma, No. Thailand and Laos to make repouseed silver. Instead of wax a heavy resin is used. The work is don in stages, between which the resin is melted and re-set to make room for the next level of detail. I wonder if that technique has a Dutch origin as well, though it would be surprising that it would reach that far north, essentially leap-frogging a large area in between.
Old 25th April 2008, 03:04 PM   #19
Mark

Coincidentally, a dah from this thread also has this same floral design. The dha was collected in Cambodia, but I believe that it, too, is from Laos or Northern Thailand.
Old 25th April 2008, 05:07 PM   #20
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Coincidentally, a dah from this thread also has this same floral design. The dha was collected in Cambodia, but I believe that it, too, is from Laos or Northern Thailand.
Mark
My thought , and its just a guess, is that these floral, faunal and geometric patterns may come from the strong early Islamic influence in the indonesian area. Would early Islamic trade in the area account for migrations of these patterns to Cambodia ?
Old 25th April 2008, 07:47 PM   #21
Tim Simmons

I do not want to appear difficult but repoussage is an ancient global technique. Even Pre Columbian Native North Americans worked copper this way.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 11:08 PM   #22
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I do not want to appear difficult but repoussage is an ancient global technique. Even Pre Columbian Native North Americans worked copper this way.
You are not being difficult. You bring out a great point I was not talking about the technique as much as these patterns. And I never meant to imply Islamic was the only influence on these patterns. Yes decorations of plant life have been used throughout the world. Depictions of birds are often attibuted to Hindu influences. As noted in "Hands of Time" by Barbara Leigh noted that Wakelin-king suggests that Indonesian designs, and indeed most designs from the western pacific region frequently conform to some or all of the following characteristics: a predispositions to arrainge motifs within compartments, the use of two dimensional rectilinear and curvilinear motifs appearing in bands or withinclearly demarcated zones, a tendency towards endless repetition, a tendency to use shallow relief forms on a flat surface in incised designs rather than sculptural or plastic forms, and a dominance of major tonal contrasts or absence of polychrome design ingredients so that the design can clearly be "read" in black and white. The floral and faunal motifs are often attributed to costal muslim influences, Some of the geometric motifs may be also though others can be traced back to the Dongson Period and these are certainly also an influence. Sumatran geometric influences can be traced back further , to approximately 2000 BC so they are also pre islamic. So I would love to hear other ideas on the origination of these motifs. Even if those ideas prove I am very wrong
Old 25th April 2008, 11:31 PM   #23
Gonzalo G

Fernando, first of all, I didn´t congratulate you for this beautiful piece before, but I do it now. It is a very nice piece of work.

Thank you for your comments about the silver work. It happens that I studied some silversmithing and have some intimate understanding of this craft. The silversmiths in some places of Latin América uses to make hilts and scabbards of chiseled silver in the same ways than in this badik is done. We make the scabbards, fill them with a special mixture of waxes and asphaltic resin, fixi the the scabbards in a box filled with the same mixture and then chisel them from above. I mean, the work is not done from inside, or it would be called "repousee". We make the volumes and the "levels" from upside. I checked with my friends, more experienced silversmiths, and they confirmed me this bandik and scabbard was only chiseled, meaning worked form above. But as Battara says, it could be better called "chasing", as the meaning of "chiselling" has another connotations in english. The point is that the work is done from above and not from the inside. I know what do you mean by a reposee type of work, but I think this is not the case. Please see this page, where you can find illustrations of hilts and scabards chased in this way, entirely form above with the scabbard already formed and soldered:

http://www.malamudorfebre.com/english/cuchillos-en.htm

And as you say, between steps the work is reheated and then suddenly dipped in cold water with some nitric or sulphuric acid, in order to soften the metal, the acid being useful to clean it´s surface.

Thank you for your attention

Gonzalo
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 12:20 AM   #24
fernando

Does it help (or complicates) to show this example ?
... Both for the silver decoration, that looks partly a similar work to my ignorant eyes, as also for the blade, that somehow reminds me the one show by Alan in post #17 ... naturally influenced by the date marking attitude.
Most probably you already knew this specimen, shown here.
http://old.blades.free.fr/daggers/badik/bad03/bad03.htm
Fernando
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 26th April 2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 26th April 2008, 10:59 PM   #25
kai

Hello Fernando,

The blades of Alan's and Dominque's badik are made from Dutch VOC swords - possibly the blades of broken colonial swords got recycled and given a 2nd life while your nice piece has a Javanese pamor blade.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 11:43 PM   #26
Dajak

Quote:
The designs look Burmese to me (see example below). Maybe it is from southern Burma. They are used in both Burma and Thailand, undoubtedly due to the Malaysian influence (not the other way around).

I have see an Latok with this dear design on the Handle

Also some keris who had this in gold on the blade .

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 12:14 AM   #27
fernando

Hi Kai,
I understand that, although my intention was to remark an eventual familiarity between those blades, this has nothing in common with my example, which is of local production.
I have registered this piece of mine as being from the Sulawesi island; should i change it to Jawa, or is this an indiferent situation ?
Thanks.
Fernando
Old 27th April 2008, 12:41 AM   #28
fernando

Quote:
What say you Mark, after the various considerations posted ?
Could this really be a neighbour of the Thai "meed pra dae" ( vide The Dha Research Glossary ), or is it better atributable to its primitive provenance ... Sulawesi, Indonesia ?
Fernando
Old 27th April 2008, 03:18 PM   #29
Mick

fernando

The grip seems to be of the Javanese shape.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 06:47 PM   #30
Tim Simmons

Default Repoussage and chasing

Technically speaking this is both repoussage and chasing. The repoussage {punching} can be applied on either side of the work. The highlights have been chased in {usually cutting as in engraving, to cut details in casting and other work}. This extract from "Jewelery concepts and technology" by " Oppi Untracht" A weighty tome the BIBLE for first year students, says stuff better than I can.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 27th April 2008 at 07:02 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote