Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th March 2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Incised Mallet/Club From Africa?

Hi all

Picked this up today can't place it though. Any opinions on what tribe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Lew
Attached Images

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 17th March 2008 at 06:23 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 08:00 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Nice looking item. I do not think it is a weapon but it looks very tactile. If I had seen it in a market I might even have paid double . I think it is South American.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 10:13 PM   #3
katana

Hi Lew,
no idea as to origins.....but intriqued by the 'pommel' end ...certainly looks like something was fitted there. Does seem to be some sort of mallet.... perhaps for leather work. The missing piece .... possibly a small metal spike that was used as an awl ... or maybe a small counter weight was fitted there(to balance the mallet) for intricate carving ......bit of a puzzle

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Katana

I think it is some type or pestle or not cracker the bottom is flattened and shows wear. Look at the picture in the auction.
Old 19th March 2008, 03:59 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I AGREE IT IS PROBABLY SOME TYPE OF PESTLE FOR POUNDING AND GRINDING SOMETHING. AS TO WHERE IT ORIGINATED I DON'T HAVE A CLUE AS I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING QUITE LIKE IT. I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT AT THAT PRICE REGARDLESS AS IT IS A INTERESTING, WELL MADE NEAT ITEM, CONGRADULATIONS. THE ONLY SUGGESTION FOR PINNING IT DOWN MORE WOULD TO GET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS A LOT ABOUT BEADS TO LOOK AT THEM TO SEE IF THEY RECOGNIZE THE TYPE. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 12:49 PM   #6
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Katana

I think it is some type or pestle or not cracker the bottom is flattened and shows wear. Look at the picture in the auction.

Hi Lew,
I had noticed the wear to the bottom area, but also noticed that the head seems to have a slightly flattened face, a pestle would normally be perfectly round (cross section). As the handle section seems 'turned' (on a lathe ?) and round ...this 'flattened' section seems deliberate and I thought 'mallet'. A pestle also usually has a 'flared' handle so that it is comfortable to apply downward pressure as you 'grind' ... your one tapers.

Having said all that, the use of a pestle to prepare softer vegetation, herbs etc for medicine, tonics etc could be done with such an implement, but feel that the lower section would be highly stained with the oils released from the plants after regular use.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Lew,

Having said all that, the use of a pestle to prepare softer vegetation, herbs etc for medicine, tonics etc could be done with such an implement, but feel that the lower section would be highly stained with the oils released from the plants after regular use.

Regards David
Katana

This item arrived a few days ago and I noticed the bottom has some dark stains on it. Under closer examination I feel this object was used to mash some type of vegetation probably in a larger wooden bowl. I still can't place it's origin I think it could be Native American? I will post some me pics today.

Lew
Attached Images

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 30th March 2008 at 07:56 PM.