Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2008, 01:04 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default Gading

Not the best image I've ever seen, but my excuse is that it was a spur of the moment thing, and I don't have time to do a proper job, still I thought a some people might enjoy seeing a few ivory hilts.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Alam Shah

Lovely hilts... wish it could be bigger.
Do you have it available... I'm looking for a Minangkabau style ivory.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:59 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Yeah, as I said, it was a spur of the moment thing. To do a proper job I'd need to do each hilt separately from front and side, and possibly back, I'd need to set up, and then massage the pics. At least two hundred images, at least a week's work. I'm not so rich that I can afford this sort of time, but anyway, even this small hip-pocket image is not really too bad---better than I'd hoped for actually.

This is only a part of my collection---what I could fit into a single image--- but nothing that I have shown here, and none of the ones that I have not shown, are for sale.Apart from which, this material is a very dicey thing to send to international destinations.
Old 22nd February 2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yeah, as I said, it was a spur of the moment thing.
Thanks for the picture.
What I was referring is, if this single shot was taken with a bigger size image, say 1024 x 768 size or a 3.2 megapixel size. Perhap we can see a bigger picture of each piece, even though it's still in the single image. Of course, we wouldn't want anyone to waste too much time taking photos unless it's of commercial interest, won't we...

Quote:
This is only a part of my collection---what I could fit into a single image--- but nothing that I have shown here, and none of the ones that I have not shown, are for sale.Apart from which, this material is a very dicey thing to send to international destinations.
Wow! a huge collection indeed. As for shipping ivory, we had discussed it before... how risky and troublesome it is.
Old 22nd February 2008, 06:11 AM   #5
Alam Shah

Dear Alan,
If it's not too much to ask, could we have pictures of some of the piece, please?
From left to right,
3rd row, 9th piece,
4th row, 4th piece and
5th row, last piece... these are the ones that appeal to me most, based on the picture. Thanks in advance... whether can or cannot .
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:11 AM   #6
Marcokeris

They seem all beautiful pieces!!!!
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 06:21 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Shahrial, that pic started life as at 2848X2136, but by the time I got it down to a size that could be posted it finished up as you see it. In fact, this problem with posting pics is one of the reasons I do not post more pics. I simply cannot produce a good enough image within the posting constraints. Yes, it is possible to do a halfway decent image of a keris within the constraints, but when you get down to something with a lot of detail, you finish up with a pretty small image. In another thread I posted a pic of a sorsoran of an old keris with a lot of grain in the blade. To get that to a size that could be posted I cropped 2 or 3 times, resized I don't know how many times, lowered resolution, lowered image quality. That one image took me maybe ten minutes to massage into something that I could post, from an already reworked image that was posted to my site, and that in my opinion was already pretty small.My usual attitude is that if I cannot produce something decent, I'll produce nothing at all. Obviously my usual attitude is correct, because this casual spur of the moment shot has produced complaints-- very justified complaints--- on its adequacy.And as a consequence has generated work for me that I had no intention of doing when I posted the pic.

As soon as I get a chance I will do individual pics of 3 or 4 of those handles. I will do 3rd row, 9th piece, it is nice, but I'm sure you would have seen many as good or better. I'll look at the other two you mention, and I may or may not do those, my memory of them is that they are pretty ordinary---nice, yes, but fairly common. If I decide not to do those I'll do shots of a couple of others that I consider to be worthy of notice.

First time I get an hour or so to spare I'll do those pics and post them.
Old 25th February 2008, 07:05 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

The smallest halfway acceptable file I could create of one of those hilts was still way too big to publish here, so I have published 5 hilts to my site.

Shahrial, you have got two---I think--- of the ones you requested, the others I have published were not requested, but I felt were worth wasting time on.

Here's the link:-

http://kerisattosanaji.com/IVORYHILTS.html
Old 29th February 2008, 11:27 PM   #9
Alam Shah

Quote:
... Shahrial, you have got two---I think--- of the ones you requested, the others I have published were not requested, but I felt were worth wasting time on.

Here's the link:-
http://kerisattosanaji.com/IVORYHILTS.html
Alan, thanks for the pictures. Those are some beautiful hilts.
(things are back to normal, as of 25th Feb).
Old 2nd March 2008, 09:29 PM   #10
A. G. Maisey

Now that the Warung has been rebuilt after the fire---warungs are always catching fire and burning down, the kerosene stoves tip over, and----whoosh---gone. Anyway I can see that the builder has very much improved our decorative facilities (thanks Lee).

So I thought I'd give them a test.

These four photos were too big for the previous upload facility, so I made them and a few other pics available through a link. Now they can be part of the site.
Attached Images

Old 2nd March 2008, 09:31 PM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Oh yes. That's good.

Once again, thank you Lee.