Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th November 2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Justin

Default Takouba question

I just received this takouba from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK

I was kind of dissapointed to find that the edge is blunt, doesnt look like it was ever sharpened, although there are notches in the edge like it has been used.Is this common on these or did I get a really nice looking tourist piece?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
or did I get a really nice looking tourist piece?
you did
be serious ... 100 box and you was expecting an real antiquity

cheap price .. cheap stuff

anyway, very nice sword for decor

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 12:11 PM   #3
katana

Sorry Justin,

I totally agree with Dom........ it looks too new, with no wear at the hilt. The brass work, especially the chape on the scabbard is crude , compared with usual Toureg workmanship.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Justin

Thats what I thought , thanks for the help guys.

As far as the price goes I been pretty good at getting incredible deals, guess Ive become a little careless.
Old 27th November 2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Justin,
Its really tough to find old takoubas these days, and although this example is indeed not old at all, its important to remember that the takouba is still an important element of Tuareg costume. While they do of course sell these readily to tourists, I believe they still wear them as well. Naturally, as Lee Jones will attest, the weapon du jour is actually the AK-47, but the trusty takouba often is stubbornly worn at the side

I think the scabbard throat band is interesting, as the loose basket weave motif resembles certain blade motif from certain Eastern European trade blades (see the early makers marks thread and the Polish sabre blade with sacred heart motif).

While not truly 'antique' , it is still an authentic 'ethnographic' piece that serves as representative of the traditional form.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 11:03 PM   #6
Justin

You bring up a good point Jim, and that is why I didn't automatically assume that this was a tourist piece.I have seen plenty of photos and video of modern Touregs wearing Takouba's. As you point out, a Takouba sharpened or not is definately going to take a back seat as a weapon to a gun or bomb but that doesnt mean they aren't still worn and therefore 'used'.Likewise I have also seen the Afar carrying Gile's along with their Ak 47's of course...

When I first started collecting I bought a nice antique Takouba at a local flea market (would you believe I got it for 20 bucks?) and I turned around and sold it on ebay for 60 .Since then this is the third one I have bought, the sale fell through on the first two and now there is this one, I think by selling the first one I may have incurred the Takouba curse !