Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd May 2020, 11:28 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default SUNDANG MINDANAO LUMAD BOLO

My blade friends,

This bolo/sundang came from Dumalinao, Zamboanga del Sur, Mindanao. Subanen/subanon tribe.

What attracted me to this bolo is the handle. Made of carabao horn but with the designs of some animal? with teeth. I've never encountered anything of a bolo with this handle design.

Unfortunately, no scabbard.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Be safe,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 01:09 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Yves,

You should post a picture from the complete sword!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with Detlef. Please post pictures of the whole piece before I comment further.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 01:15 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Tanaruz:

In addition to the whole blade would you please post a picture of the scabbard if it has one. Is the blade edge a chisel grind or V-grind?

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 07:40 AM   #5
tanaruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Tanaruz:

In addition to the whole blade would you please post a picture of the scabbard if it has one. Is the blade edge a chisel grind or V-grind?

Ian.

Hi,

The pics were taken by the seller in Zamboanga del Sur when the bolo was offered. Then after it was shipped to a bladesmith friend who will make a scabbard for the piece. When the bolo arrives at my friend's forge, I will request him to picture the entire blade and we would know if it is chisel or V grind.

Regards

Yves
Old 3rd May 2020, 08:46 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz
Hi,

The pics were taken by the seller in Zamboanga del Sur when the bolo was offered. Then after it was shipped to a bladesmith friend who will make a scabbard for the piece. When the bolo arrives at my friend's forge, I will request him to picture the entire blade and we would know if it is chisel or V grind.

Regards

Yves
Thanks Yves. What type of scabbard are you getting? Ian
Old 3rd May 2020, 04:54 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz
When the bolo arrives at my friend's forge, I will request him to picture the entire blade and we would know if it is chisel or V grind.
Not just the blade but the whole piece. Thanks.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 05:13 AM   #8
tanaruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Thanks Yves. What type of scabbard are you getting? Ian
Hi,

Well with regards to the scabbard, I'm still in the process of determining if the previous Subanen owner is Kalibugan (converted to Islam), a Christian or of the Evangelical faith. The design of the scabbard must be inspired to what religious sector they belong to. But- a colleage told me that the piece is more inclined
to be of a Kalibugan Subanen - and the design on the hilt/pommel is very close in resemblance to those design found in bolo lumad kampilans and moro kampilans. But it's just an imput. Here are some scabbard designs which I am considering- with Islamic theme. If you have any suggestions as to the scabbard design, they would be highly appreciated

Kind regards and be safe everyone,

Yves
Attached Images

Old 4th May 2020, 07:07 AM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hello Yves,

Of the two scabbards you show, the bottom one looks more traditionally Muslim (Moro), while the top one holding the Zamboanga barung looks more Chavacano with the drilled hole for a rope belt. If you're picking between the two, and want a Muslim flavor, I would go with the second one.
As far as the hilt on your new piece, I think it is probably a naga (snake) as the teeth look more like a snake's teeth and fangs than, say, a crocodile or mythical dragon.

Ian
Old 4th May 2020, 10:28 AM   #10
tanaruz

Talking SUNDANG MINDANAO LUMAD BOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hello Yves,

Of the two scabbards you show, the bottom one looks more traditionally Muslim (Moro), while the top one holding the Zamboanga barung looks more Chavacano with the drilled hole for a rope belt. If you're picking between the two, and want a Muslim flavor, I would go with the second one.
As far as the hilt on your new piece, I think it is probably a naga (snake) as the teeth look more like a snake's teeth and fangs than, say, a crocodile or mythical dragon.

Ian
Hi Sir,

Many thanks for the info.

Both blades are in my collection. I acquired both of them from Palawan. The bottom piece is actually a Tausug barung from Sulu. I purchased the item in the southern Palawan (moro area). The former owner's family migrated to the southern part of Palawan. The top one came from a collector in mid-area of Palawan. A Palawan badung. Also of moro provenance.

I'm Chavacano by the way. Born and bred in Zamboanga City.

Yes, in all likelihood a naga on the new piece.

Kindest regards,

Yves
Old 4th May 2020, 03:36 PM   #11
Marbel

OFF TOPIC:

I remember briefly visiting Zamboanga City in 1985. On my way from General Santos City to Manila - I didn't have enough money to fly, so embarked on the MV Manila for a 3 day trip north.

Our stop in Zamboanga City was scheduled to be very short and so we were advised to stay on board. In addition, that was a relatively rough time to be wandering the streets of that town as a young American. As soon as we docked, dozens of young local kids ran onto the ship to take "to go" orders from the passengers. One quickly found me and I vaguely remember giving him enough cash to buy some Winstons and Chippy - knowing full well that I'd likely not see him again.

Shortly before we were scheduled to leave, my young friend suddenly appeared, smokes and treats in hand delivered with a smile. As we pushed away from the docks, there was a small commotion as passengers gathered to look up towards the top of the ship where a large group of the "to go" boys stood near the edge. We watched, laughing and cheering in amazement as kid after kid jumped from the top deck of the ship, down into the deep waters below. I'll never forget it.
Marbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 12:43 AM   #12
tanaruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbel
OFF TOPIC:

I remember briefly visiting Zamboanga City in 1985. On my way from General Santos City to Manila - I didn't have enough money to fly, so embarked on the MV Manila for a 3 day trip north.

Our stop in Zamboanga City was scheduled to be very short and so we were advised to stay on board. In addition, that was a relatively rough time to be wandering the streets of that town as a young American. As soon as we docked, dozens of young local kids ran onto the ship to take "to go" orders from the passengers. One quickly found me and I vaguely remember giving him enough cash to buy some Winstons and Chippy - knowing full well that I'd likely not see him again.

Shortly before we were scheduled to leave, my young friend suddenly appeared, smokes and treats in hand delivered with a smile. As we pushed away from the docks, there was a small commotion as passengers gathered to look up towards the top of the ship where a large group of the "to go" boys stood near the edge. We watched, laughing and cheering in amazement as kid after kid jumped from the top deck of the ship, down into the deep waters below. I'll never forget it.
Hi,

Yes, I do remember that passenger ship. And I boarded that vessel too. In 1985, I was a Medical Representative assigned to cover Mindanao. I was based in Zamboanga City and normally takes the plane to Cotabato City. Then downwards to Gen Santos City and take the early evening trip aboard MV Manila to Zamboanga.

I hope that you will find time again to visit and explore my Latin city of the south.

Kind regards and be safe,

Yves
Old 5th May 2020, 10:04 AM   #13
Loedjoe

This may be entirely irrelevant to a discussion of a Mindanao piece, but the similarity in the type of hilt may be of interest? Sumatran amanremu (67 cm, blade 48.5 cm (10 mm thick at the base), hilt 16 cm.), hilt of dark green horn.
Attached Images

Loedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote