Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th October 2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Unknown sword, help needed!

Just have won this unusual sword, machete like, it's very long with 85 cm (approx. 33.5"), I think that the "handle" is bamboo and the horn end piece is water buffalo. The auction house think that it coming from Africa but the blade shape look very Indonesian to my eyes. The patination look very old and suggest that the sword has some age. Could it be a simple stick sword from Flores?

The pictures are from the auction, I will post more when I have it in my hands. All comments are very welcome.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Detlef:

An unusual piece--plain but well made. I agree that it looks Malay/Indonesian and could be from Flores, as you suggest. I don't recall seeing another example just like it.

The horn tip to the hilt could be from a water buffalo, although I would not rule out goat also.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 11:48 PM   #3
Sajen

Hi Ian,

thank you for comment! Like you I never have seen something similar before but the only possible origin which come to my mind was Indonesia/Malay, the overall blade shape and special the small knob at the end of the spine is something I only have seen by Indonesian blades.
Good suggestion that the horn tip could be goat horn.

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 6th October 2016, 07:45 AM   #4
kronckew

straighter form of a rattan knife?
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
straighter form of a rattan knife?
I really doubt by this length. It seems more a all purpose machete to my eyes.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 6th October 2016, 04:05 PM   #6
Sajen

Hi Kronckew,

forget to mention, the very worn edge can't be caused by splitting rattan IMVHO but by serious use.

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 6th October 2016, 07:26 PM   #7
Royston

Looks a right mixture.
S.E Asian blade
I have a couple of Naga spears with shafts that look very similar, a type of semi-flat bamboo.
What is that on the shaft near the blade ? Looks like the hide covering that you see on African spears.

The horn I have not seen like this.

Some more photos might help when you get it.
Regards
Roy
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 09:09 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
Looks a right mixture.
S.E Asian blade
I have a couple of Naga spears with shafts that look very similar, a type of semi-flat bamboo.
What is that on the shaft near the blade ? Looks like the hide covering that you see on African spears.

The horn I have not seen like this.

Some more photos might help when you get it.
Regards
Roy
Hello Roy,

thank you for comment and my first impression as well that it look like mixture. The bamboo shaft remembered me as well to Naga weapons I've handled before. There is nothing mentioned in the auction description about the stuff at the shaft near the blade but think like you that it is leather which I know also from African weapons.
Be sure that I will post more pictures when I have received it.

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 7th October 2016, 09:34 PM   #9
kai

Hello Detlef,

Thanks for bringing up this oddity!

The middle section looks like rattan to me. I'm also looking forward to hearing what this extended "ferrule" is made of...

Quote:
The auction house think that it coming from Africa but the blade shape look very Indonesian to my eyes. The patination look very old and suggest that the sword has some age. Could it be a simple stick sword from Flores?
I agree that this seems to be the type of blade which was widely traded throughout the eastern archipelago. I'm not sure we can narrow its origin down to Flores since the base and the pommel seem to be quite unusual.

BTW, Karel Sirag also mentions SE Sulawesi as a possible origin for the stick swords with longer blades. However, this example doesn't seem to vibe well with any of the cultures from there?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 01:03 AM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I agree that this seems to be the type of blade which was widely traded throughout the eastern archipelago. I'm not sure we can narrow its origin down to Flores since the base and the pommel seem to be quite unusual.
Hello Kai,

thank you for comment! I agree with you that this blade style was traded and possible still traded throughout the eastern archipelago. My guess would be that this sword could come from a small group of native poeple like the Togutil on Halmahera (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Togutil_people) or for example the Nuaulu on Ceram (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuaulu) and they have fitted a trade blade in their own way. We will maybe never be able to pin down the exact origin of this sword. This blade style is still common, see for example here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=semarang In recent times worked from spring steel of course.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 30th October 2016, 06:58 PM   #11
Sajen

Have received the sword and I am very pleased with it. The "ferrule" is actually from horn, like Ian suggested I think both horn pieces are from goat horn. The ferrule was once broken and I think tribal repaird with resin. The wooden part is indeed from bamboo like I thought and have received a very nice dark patina. The upper horn piece is secured with one or two bamboo pins. The very well used blade is stained black by plant brew (I think) and on both sides hollow ground under the spine and very well worked. Here some pictures, sorry for the quality, it was a dark day.
Attached Images

Old 30th October 2016, 07:04 PM   #12
Sajen

Here a picture together with other sword from the area with similar blade style for comparison, from up to down: a topo from Flores, a rugi from Alor, a pade from Ceram or Sulawesi and a semarang from Halmahera.
Attached Images