Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 19th April 2015, 06:57 AM   #1
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 537
Default IS THIS BLUNDERBLUSS TURKISH???

17th century flintlock Blunderbluss pistol ,Turkey ,Ottoman Empire,with brass barrel and unusual shaped stock with a shortened shoulder flange
The barrel with 3 proof marks
Overall length 490
Would appreciate more information on this gun
REGARDS RAJESH
Attached Images
        
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 07:25 AM   #2
Cerjak
Member
 
Cerjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: FRANCE
Posts: 902
Default

Yes turkish but not 17 th century
See similar
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17172
Best
Cerjak
Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Kubur
Member
 
Kubur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,067
Default

Hi Rajesh!
Yes, for me your Blunderbluss is Ottoman.
I will say Balkans or Algeria because of the shape of the butt and the lock, probably French with some nice engravings that I'm sure you will clean.
It's a nice original piece but I prefer the ones with more decorations...
It's difficult to have an idea on the stamps on the barrel.
All the best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 07:32 AM   #4
Kubur
Member
 
Kubur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,067
Default

Oh I forgot, 19th c. beginning.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 07:46 AM   #5
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerjak
Yes turkish but not 17 th century
See similar
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17172
Best
Cerjak

THANKS CERJAK
NOT MUCH HAS BEEN WRITTEN ABOUT THESE GUNS BUT LOVELY EXAMPLES POSTED
REGARDS
RAJESH
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 07:50 AM   #6
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Rajesh!
Yes, for me your Blunderbluss is Ottoman.
I will say Balkans or Algeria because of the shape of the butt and the lock, probably French with some nice engravings that I'm sure you will clean.
It's a nice original piece but I prefer the ones with more decorations...
It's difficult to have an idea on the stamps on the barrel.
All the best,
Kubur

THANKS KUBUR FOR THE INFORMATION
I HAVE SEEN THAT YOU HAVE BEAUTIFUL NORTH AFRICAN PISTOLS,AND BALKAN GUNS IN YOUR COLECTION,WHERE ARE YOU BASED?,ANY CHANCE TO SEE HOW YOU HAVE DISPALYED THE PISTOL COLLECTION,HAVE YOU MOUNTED THEM ON A WALL?
ALSO WHATS THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN THESE GUNS WITHOUT DAMAGING THEIR PATINA,THANKS AGAIN RAJESH
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 03:32 PM   #7
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,148
Default

Hi BANDOOK. I agree with Kubar. Ottoman Blunderbuss Knee Pistol. Probably made at one of the many gun making centers in the Balkans, early to mid 19th Century. The brass barrels on these guns are far less common. So good find!! And it should clean up nice. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 10:42 PM   #8
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 537
Default

THANKS RICKYSTL
GREAT INFORMATION,YES WILL SEE BEST WAY TO CLEAN THIS GUN,ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR SIMPLE CLEANING ,MANY THANKS RAJESH
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 06:57 PM   #9
Kubur
Member
 
Kubur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
THANKS KUBUR FOR THE INFORMATION
I HAVE SEEN THAT YOU HAVE BEAUTIFUL NORTH AFRICAN PISTOLS,AND BALKAN GUNS IN YOUR COLECTION,WHERE ARE YOU BASED?,ANY CHANCE TO SEE HOW YOU HAVE DISPALYED THE PISTOL COLLECTION,HAVE YOU MOUNTED THEM ON A WALL?
ALSO WHATS THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN THESE GUNS WITHOUT DAMAGING THEIR PATINA,THANKS AGAIN RAJESH


Dear Rajesh,
I will post some pics of the stands that I did to display my pistols.
I already damaged some patina, I guess we learn from our mistakes.
But I' not the best person to answer to your question...
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 08:48 PM   #10
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,148
Default

Here is a neat photo. The guy sitting, in the middle. Notice him holding a Blunderbuss Knee Pistol. Rick.
Attached Images
 
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 03:02 AM   #11
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Dear Rajesh,
I will post some pics of the stands that I did to display my pistols.
I already damaged some patina, I guess we learn from our mistakes.
But I' not the best person to answer to your question...

THANKS KUBUR AM KEEN TO SE HOW YOU DISPLAY THEM,AND WHERE DID YOU BUY SUCH DISPLAY STANDS,THANKS
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 03:04 AM   #12
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Here is a neat photo. The guy sitting, in the middle. Notice him holding a Blunderbuss Knee Pistol. Rick.

REALLY NICE PICTURE RICK,WHERE DO YOU THINK THESE BEDOINS ARE FROM,ALGERIA ???
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 10:17 AM   #13
Kubur
Member
 
Kubur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,067
Default

They are from Palestine. Some people will say Israel, but I don't know any country called Israel...
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 10:37 AM   #14
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
They are from Palestine. Some people will say Israel, but I don't know any country called Israel...
Kubur

Thanks Kubur state OF ISRAEL WAS FORMED AFTER IN 1945,THIS PICTURE LOOKS 70 YEARS BEFORE THAT,CHEERS
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 12:34 PM   #15
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,148
Default

Have no idea where they are from. My guess is the photo is from the 1870's.
But you can clearly see him holding the pistol. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.