Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2006, 05:24 PM   #1
spiral

Default 20th Century British Military Pattern Gurkha kukri

I was asked to write an article for Tora & IKRHS forums regarding military kukri patterns so I am posting it here for your guys who may just have one or two kukri as your collecting fields lay in other directions, in case it is of intrest.

I think one could argue that they are ethnographic? {British,Indian Nepali etc.}

Anyway I hope you enjoy it.

Spiral

The 20th Century British Military Pattern Gurkha Issue Kukri.

Many kukris have been used by the Nepali Gurkhas of the British army, with small purchases by various, units, regiments, & of course many private purchases by individual officers & men.

But there have only ever been 5 military pattern number kukris in official British Gurkha issue.

Other models have been issued notably military Sirupati in WW2 ,& the various kaudi less hybrid models from 1919 to 1945 , & indeed The Mahraraja of Jodhpurs kukris in WW1 although sadley any real evidence or photos of them bieng carried to date is lacking & it is possibly they date from later. I would welcome any firm evidence.

Many traditional kukris are seen in photos from WW1 & WW2 and these can be either early or more unofficial{non pattern.} kukri or private purchase or even family heirloom kukri, as according to the Brigade of Gurkhas most Gurkhas used to return from thir first leave with a traditional kukri rather than a military issue variant.

Family hierloom kukris were sometimes even brought along by the new recruits, who according to various testimonies from WW2 veterans they often only used those as their weapons while using the issue kukri for utility work.

Here are the 5 patterns. In number order Mk.1 at top.

……………………………………………………………………………

The First official numbered British Indian Gurkha military kukri the mk.1 was in production by 1903 up until at least 1915.

It was a break from the traditional hidden partial tangs to a full length rat tail tang culminating in turn nut similar in design to a rifle stock recessed into the walnut butt.

Many of them are unmarked although some later models carry manufactures stamp Co. & sometimes FW marks onm the spine occur which may be the inspection mark from Fort William.

Here are the 2 variant mk. I s, the lower longer handled one is a rarer variant. Although all mk.1s are rare most are short handled.

……………………………………………………………………………….

The mk.2 was in production by 1915 & was to stay in manufacture for the British army until at least 1944 so certainly they ran into production figures of many thousands.

It has been produced by many manufactures & armories over the years.

Commercial private purchase versions production continued after the war.

The 3 ww1 manufactures most often seen are {with years of production runs that I know off so far.}

CO. 1917, 1918, 1919, 1921 {the predominant maker by far.}

DHW 1918, 1919

RGB 1917, 1918

Rarer manufactures include,

E.boota Singh &sons, {Rawlpindi} 1917

AS & Sons Ltd. A model of which only one very high quality piece is known dating from 1916.

RFI {Rifle Factory Ishapore.} are also known to have made a small high quality batch in 1927.

In ww2 well known manufactures include.

ATD, {Army Traders Dharan} {or possibly Dehra Dun} 1942, 1943

MIL, 1941, 1942,

Pioneer, {Calcutta} 1943, 1944

Queera Bros. 1943, 1944

JNB 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944

One variant mk.2 often called the M.43 after the manufactures stamp found on it is identifiable by the mark, & sunken rivets combined with an integrally welded tang , bolster join, but as these 2 later features can be found on other mk.2s the mark is the real key. {Although some occasionally appear to have escaped marking.}

Some people refer to this as a separate model in my opinion it is just a particular manufacturers interpretation of the design as none of the differences sited only occur on m.43s other than the stamp.

Here 3 mk. 2s a typical Co. made 1917 , at top, a Queeta Bros. mk.2 in the middle, and a m.43 at the bottom.

Hers typical Co. & m.43 stamps.

……………………………………………………………………………………………..

The mk.3 kukri came into being in 1943 according to Indian sources & was certainly in mass production by 1944. It is sometimes mistakenly referred to as the K.45 design based on the date stamp present on some examples made in 1945.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2006, 05:25 PM   #2
spiral

It is still the most commonly issued kukri to the Indian armed forces.

Thousands or even millions have been made, but the only Genuine military pieces are those that were actually purchased by the military forces. The others are just commercial copys even if made by the same companys.

It was designed for easy & fast production & was made by many companies.

Including. {With years of production runs that I have seen to date.}

Mil, 1945

WSC {Windlass steel Crafts} 1944, 1945,

CMW {Calcutta}, produced very high quality specimens that have many easily recognizable manufacturer & army inspection stamps.1944, 1945

Many MK.III were not maker clearly marked, or were badly stamped.

Other manufactures include Chowdri & DKW who both produced during 1945 at least but most likely for the Indian army after Independence as well.

Many of these kukris have been made to the present day & it has been used by many Indian army Gorkha units as well as commercially exported in lower quality versions to the USA & Europe for over 50 years.

1944 & 45 versions of the CMW mk.III kukri & detail of manufacturers stamp & army inspection marks.

………………………………………………………………………………………

Next we have the mk.4 was the rarest official kukri pattern model to ever exist, and the last 50+ years have made it virtually extinct.

It was designed in 1949/50 by Wilkinson Sword Company. It appears the British army wanted to buy British despite the much higher cost rather than keep purchasing from The Indian kukri factories/ Government.

In profile its looks nearly identical to the mk.3 which was obviously its design basis but when examined by hand their are many subtle differences.

WSC confirmed to me that only 1400 were ever made, {possibly 1401 including the prototype pattern room model.}

A very small number for an army production run. Less than 10/% of serving Gurkhas would have been issued with them.

They where a very high quality hand forged production by some of the worlds leading sword smiths & cutlers. With some unusual minor features not seen on other models. } & presumably the cost of having them made by WSC resulted in no further orders for this know sought after model.

They seem to have been mainly issued in the Far East, particularly Malaya.

What happened to them is sometimes regarded as a mystery , I have heard many unsubstantiated stories, but it seems to me the simple truth is they most where never brought back out of Malaya ever again they were used to destruction in the longest jungle campaign fought by the Gurkha in there their long & bloody history.

A couple of years never mind 10 or 15 years in the Borneo jungle would rust & rot most equipment beyond recognition. According to army sources canvas jungle boots & webbing would be rotting within 2 weeks.

Hence I think the rarity of the mk.4 Wilkinson sword kukri. Not many were made, Then in that extreme environment handles eventually warped or rotted & Loosened the unless cleaned & oiled every day the steel rusted.

Literally Only a handful of them are known to be in existence today.

Which with the quality of workmanship that went into them & place in history seems rather a shame.

It is the holy Grail for serious collectors of Military kukri.

………………………………………………………………………….

Some time during the early 1960s the ”new” mk.5 kukri was introduced. {Which nowadays also has 12 digit NATO service number}

Often called the BAS {British Army Standard} or BSI {British service issue.} By kukri aficionados These are Nepali manufacturer’s terms & seem to bear no relation to any British military designation.

It is generally made in Nepal rather than India.

This shorter much lighter kukri was introduced a few years after every Gurkha had been issued with the British SLR copy of the Belgian FAL automatic rifle, or the Sterling submachine gun. One assumes that by which point the powers that be thought a smaller lighter camping style or self defence kukri was acceptable .Rather than the earlier more sidearm battle worthy style kukris.

This model is made by numerous Nepali firms nearly all of which claim to supply The British Army.

In a way it seems irrelevant which of them do as the current versions of it manufactured most seem to be low quality. No different than the average modern tourist kukri.

The lowest bidder wins the army contract each year so for many years Lalit of khukri house has been one of the main supplies as the size of his business presumably allows him to undercut the competition. Of course he was also a Gurkha for many years & maintains his contacts within, the British army, the Gukhas & at the officer training school Sandhurst.

Hundreds of thousands have been made, but the only Genuine military pieces are those that were actually purchased by the military forces. The others are just commercial copys even if made by the same companys.

The higher quality versions of this kukri I have seen, were made by kamis employed the British army themselves working at Dharan army base. They are normally marked "Ordep Nepal" with a date stamp. {Generally from the 1980s.} With superior fit & finish, they have a superior feel to the ones marketed today.

They were made in 3 grades, the High Quality ceremonial, the issue & the training kukri. Interestingly most other Manufactures ceremonial models are low quality chrome plaited blade items.

Many minor variants exist due to the number of manufacturers & many years of production when multiplied by the 3 required versions.

3 Dharan base made mk.5 kukri,

Training model at top, {unmarked.}

Issue standard. Middle.

Ceremonial at bottom.

Typical marks found on the Base made kukris.

…………………………………………………………………………………

I welcome any further information & photos to evidence opinions emailed to me at spiraltwista@aol.com please include kukri in title. To enable further updating of this article.

Enjoy your kukris!

Spiral.

Photos & information on this page can be freely used elsewhere for discusian, other than written or commercial publication or websites as long as following statement included.

“Text & photos copyright, Spiral JRS Feb. 2006.”

Alternative spellings.. Khukri, Khukuri. Kookerie. Gurka. Goorkha. etc.
Old 16th February 2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Andrew

Outstanding stuff, Sprial. Thanks very much.

The IKRHS is a great thing but, I don't mind telling you, we really miss you guys over here.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2006, 06:42 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

This ww2 kukri is unmarked and has the scabbard without a chape, a picture of which is shown in Ron Flook's British and Commonwealth Military Knives. The rivets are sunken on both sides of the handle. Note the quite distinctive "V" cut for the spike thingy. Tim
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 16th February 2006 at 06:53 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2006, 08:03 PM   #5
spiral

Thankyou Andrew!

Tim, Nice kuk ! That style of scabbard was used on m.43 versians of the mk.2 as well as the one illustrated during WW2, But it was also made for many years afterwouds.

Your kukri while it may date from WW2 & could well have been carried would be private purchase not issue as it has brass bolsters. I did mention many kukri carried were not issue. For instance officers bought there own.

Many of this style were also made & sold commercialy in the 1950s so accurate dating is difficult unless you have reliable provinance?

That said your frog looks very WW2 to me.

I am not sure what "the spike thingy" is ?

normaly they have chakmak {a combined sharpening steel/flint striker & a karda, {a small knife.}

Thanks for sharing!

Spiral
Old 16th February 2006, 08:15 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Hello spiral, I meant by the spike thingy, the so called thumb spike thing what ever it is? The same model with this "V" cut can be seen on Page 197 plate 468 of the aforementioned book. It is ww2 as it was her husbands and he was an officer. A fascinating subject, Thanks for the info. Tim
Old 16th February 2006, 08:36 PM   #7
spiral

Ahhh Yes I see Tim! sorry a misunderstanding! the spike is called a kaudi in Nepal. It normaly has religious significance & puts cosmic power into the kukri.{for hindus & sometimes buddhists.} Although many kukri kaudi have fairly simplified shapes.

Plate 468 is a standard ww2 mk.II kukri made by pioneer in Calcutta in 1943, it has steel bolsters /& buttplate & if you notice the spine is more rounded rather than angled or shoulderd like you specimein. Yours isnt a mk.2.

Its always nice to find a provinaced item! Congratulations!

As an officers it would be private purchase normaly although many would buy issue style kukris.

I would personaly would term yours "Private Purchase British Officers ww2 kukri" Rather than a pattern type.

Was the fellow a Gurkha, Chindit, RAF or another branch?

Spiral
Old 16th February 2006, 08:45 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

I am afriad I rather stupidly did not ask and worst of all a commando knife was offered which I turned my nose up at, because I knew zero about them, I have been kicking myself ever since, that is what happens if you stick to one train of thought. Tim
Old 16th February 2006, 10:02 PM   #9
Titus Pullo

I like the looks of the kukris, and I heard they can make a vicious wound! However, for a more practical reason I'd still prefer a straighter military knives like the the Japanese or the big bowie style military knives because of its ability to easily pierce someone in the gut or even deadlier, yet, right into the chest cavity, straight into the heart.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2006, 10:37 PM   #10
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo
I like the looks of the kukris, and I heard they can make a vicious wound! However, for a more practical reason I'd still prefer a straighter military knives like the the Japanese or the big bowie style military knives because of its ability to easily pierce someone in the gut or even deadlier, yet, right into the chest cavity, straight into the heart.
Titus

The larger kukris could easily cleave a man's head in two or sever it from his shoulders in this way there would be no chance for him to cry out. Where as using a straight blade you could possibly miss his heart and he could scream or moan which would alert his buddies to your presence.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 02:43 AM   #11
Titus Pullo

I thought we were talking about the use of small sidearm knives used by the soldiers. Wouldn't it take the load off if they carry smaller knives, so they could carry more bullets in its place?
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 07:25 AM   #12
spiral

Thats a shame Tim, but we learn as time gos on. I am sure many of us made similar errors in our earlier days.

Titus the article is about the history of the models.

But sadley human biengs are a vulnerable easily broken specis.

The knives you mention work in combat but given the choice I would take a kukri over them personaly. slighty different tecniques perhaps{& yes long ago I have expierinced real knife use in multiple scenarios. unfortuanatly.} .

But I dont think this is the correct forum to discuss the detail of the dissasembly & distruction of human biengs.

Kit Weight isnt an issue with Gurkhas , The are propably pound for pound one the physicaly toughest nations on earth.

Today air support & fire power is more the military key, but as recently as WW2 it was still common for Gurkhas to drop there rifles & sprint charge the last 50 yards at the Enemy screaming "Ayo Gurkali" { roughly translates as "Here come the Gurkhas " or the "Gurkhas are coming.}} at the top of thier lungs waving ther kukris high in the air & either dying or leaving the battlefield coverd in often headless & armless corpses of thier enemys. {Which is partialy why their units have one more Victoria Crosses than any other British Or Indian army unit. {even the Sikhs.}

Peace.
Spiral