Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th October 2013, 01:45 AM   #1
archer

Default Ivory (walrus?) Omani Khanjar

Hi I'm blown away just now but here goes. This may well answer Ibrahiims quest to see if such a hilt exists. It doesn't show the Elephant ivory turning type marks. I'm sure it's Ivory and has some indications that it may be Walrus. It's heavy the knife weigh 250 Grns or about 10 ounces. The seller purchased it in 2006 at an antique shop in the Muscat Souk. The back of the sheath looks like it had a utility knife at sometime.

The back of the hilt has a lot of glue residue at a like a crack repair the same area shows light honey comb shaped scales see closer to the smaller roe nodules in the ivory. What do you think I'll get more detailed photos.

Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by archer; 4th October 2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: add photo
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 02:34 AM   #2
Richard Furrer

Steve,
Does not appear to be walrus to me.
Try to measure the angle of the growth grains and you will be able to tell the animal...called Schreger lines.
I think you will find they are greater than 115 degrees...i.e. elephant.

The age cracks look like what occurs in elephant as well.

I have seen Persian items and Indian with Walrus handles though.

Ric
Richard Furrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 03:16 AM   #3
archer

Default grain check

Hi Ric, That was short lived. I couldn't see anything this afternoon when it came in. Now under more light and more magnifcation. I'll locate some better eyes to examine it better. The arrow area appears to have to have a diamond pattern. Thanks, Steve
Attached Images

Old 4th October 2013, 05:04 AM   #4
kahnjar1

Interesting piece. I would think that the glue residue on the back of the hilt once held a silver plate of the shape shown by the glue.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 05:22 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I WOULD AGREE ITS ELEPHANT, THE PINKISH COLOR WOULD INDICATE ASIAN ELEPHANT NOT AFRICAN. A NICE DAGGER PERHAPS YOU CAN SEE A SIMULAR EXAMPLE TO SEE WHAT DECORATION IS MISSING FROM THE GRIP.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 08:41 AM   #6
A.alnakkas

Nice one Steve, I was the under bidder :-) glad you got it though!

Its ivory as far as I know and a nice old piece.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 12:24 PM   #7
CharlesS

Gorgeous and unique piece. It is ivory, but not walrus.

Congrats!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Iain

Nice piece! Any chance to see the blade?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Hi I'm blown away just now but here goes. This may well answer Ibrahiims quest to see if such a hilt exists. It doesn't show the Elephant ivory turning type marks. I'm sure it's Ivory and has some indications that it may be Walrus. It's heavy the knife weigh 250 Grns or about 10 ounces. The seller purchased it in 2006 at an antique shop in the Muscat Souk. The back of the sheath looks like it had a utility knife at sometime.

The back of the hilt has a lot of glue residue at a like a crack repair the same area shows light honey comb shaped scales see closer to the smaller roe nodules in the ivory. What do you think I'll get more detailed photos.

Steve

Salaams archer Yes this is one of the styles of hilt seen in Oman. These days they are copied onto synthetic hilts as well see pictures below and at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=Baatinah Yours looks like Elephant and old going by the cracks and patina .. it seems.

There is no knowing when this Khanjar got its hilt but that it is quite normal for an upgrade to have taken place and certainly Muscat souk are capable of doing that..

The belt looks like it was custom made since the design is sympathetic to that of the Khanjar below the 4 ring belt.

The back of the Khanjar gives away the fact that a silver plate adorned the item... Was this a silver plate on this Khanjar or on the one before....?

The wear to the leather on the back shows some holes that could evidence a work knife and scabbard...now long gone.

So what is it? This is the traditional 4 ringer Omani Khanjar with an outstanding Ivory Hilt and all fashioned in the style of "Baatinah" work; The vast coastal strip running from Muscat through Sohar.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 4th October 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 06:35 PM   #10
TVV

Congratulations on an exceptional khanjar,

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 08:41 PM   #11
archer

Default reply

Stu, the odd area on the back of the hilt and it's different coloration, along with not being able to see any of the machined look of natural ivory left me thinking Walrus. The remnants of glue and outline indentation had me thinking a lamination or major repair. At a third look metal is roughly cut and not at all consistent with the rest of the metal work. Great observations Stu and Ibrahiim. That's a relief!

Lotfy, Sorry, the lack bidding until the last few seconds and the most crucial photos being out of focus left me second guessing the wisdom
of bidding. I noticed you had recently sold a Khanjar in ivory are they fairly common?

Ibrahiim, Alerted by your photos on the new synthetic materials and that this khanjar was purchased about the same era as dated photos of other pinned faux "Ivory" hilts on the net. I had pause to rethink. You have mentioned pinned daggers having a totally different feel. The extra materials weight makes it feel sturdy and functional. I guess questions about which came first will always be with us.

Vandoo Interesting about the ivory origins and the pink tint.

A link to Schreger lines mention by Ric http://asianartmall.com/schreger-lines.htm

Iain The blade may be newer lots of glue present and some tip damage.

Thank you all for your interest and helping Me get it right. Steve
Attached Images

Old 4th October 2013, 09:54 PM   #12
kahnjar1

Hi Steve, I was going to take a pic of the back of one of mine which has a plate, but I see that you have just shown one. Normally these were plain in my experience. I should also add that the back of the hilt and scabbard are often much rougher than the front which of course is on view.
Stu
Quote:
Stu, the odd area on the back of the hilt and it's different coloration, along with not being able to see any of the machined look of natural ivory left me thinking Walrus. The remnants of glue and outline indentation had me thinking a lamination or major repair. At a third look metal is roughly cut and not at all consistent with the rest of the metal work. Great observations Stu and Ibrahiim. That's a relief!

Lotfy, Sorry, the lack bidding until the last few seconds and the most crucial photos being out of focus left me second guessing the wisdom
of bidding. I noticed you had recently sold a Khanjar in ivory are they fairly common?

Ibrahiim, Alerted by your photos on the new synthetic materials and that this khanjar was purchased about the same era as dated photos of other pinned faux "Ivory" hilts on the net. I had pause to rethink. You have mentioned pinned daggers having a totally different feel. The extra materials weight makes it feel sturdy and functional. I guess questions about which came first will always be with us.

Vandoo Interesting about the ivory origins and the pink tint.

A link to Schreger lines mention by Ric http://asianartmall.com/schreger-lines.htm

Iain The blade may be newer lots of glue present and some tip damage.

Thank you all for your interest and helping Me get it right. Steve
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 10:23 PM   #13
spiral

Lovely looking Khanjar!

I do notice though, that the majority of splits seems less to do with age & more with way, that at the time of manufacture was unseasend,fresh or green ivory which then split as it shrank during drying on to the small decorative & grip improving nails, in the pommel/end grain area, with the splits then extending logitudualy,as it shrank further .

Perhaps Ibrahim can tell us when fresh rather than seasoned ivory became popular for Khanjar hilts in Oman?

I would assume traditionaly seasoned or dry ivory was prefered?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 05:12 AM   #14
T. Koch

Hi Archer and thanks for sharing your khanjar!

I just want to make clear that the ivory of no other animal except that of the elephant family (Proboscideae exhibit the structural characteristics known as Schreger's lines. The presence of these are always an indicator of proboscidean ivory.

There is also no way of visually destinguishing Asian from African ivory, Certain wavelengths of ultraviolet light will tell you if you're dealing with ivory or not, but it will not tell you which kind. It might be possible through Infrared Spectroscopy, but I am not sure an will have to check my notes.

All the best, - Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 12:44 PM   #15
A.alnakkas

Ivory hilted khanjars are rare but not due to the rarity of the material but because of function. Ivory is heavy which makes it uncomfortable and (eventually) not that beautiful to wear. The heaviness of the hilt would make the khanjar lower forward once worn around the waist.

Ivory is readily available at swordmakers shops, its not cheap but not comparible to rhino.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 07:35 PM   #16
archer

Default reply

Lotfy, I like your answers they explain a lot. It's kind of the glass half empty. I guess at rarity by the numbers I've seen and your perspective based on functionality and numbers in use. I was going to ask about balance, but found the some angles of hilt to blade of other khajars to be canted too. This hilt was tipped more to the left, not exactly sure why, it hides some of the pin work? The hilt is definitely canted back further and closer to the body to correct that pull down and away from the body.
Attached Images

Old 6th October 2013, 06:10 PM   #17
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Lotfy, I like your answers they explain a lot. It's kind of the glass half empty. I guess at rarity by the numbers I've seen and your perspective based on functionality and numbers in use. I was going to ask about balance, but found the some angles of hilt to blade of other khajars to be canted too. This hilt was tipped more to the left, not exactly sure why, it hides some of the pin work? The hilt is definitely canted back further and closer to the body to correct that pull down and away from the body.

Salaams archer ~ I think its canted back because it's a rehilt. Nothing wrong in that ... Its part of the story in Omani Khanjars and Yemeni Jambias ... I think of it as an "upgrade." Perfectly normal. I think that's why the plate is missing i.e. It never made it in the rehilt. I suspect that the Ivory hilt was simply a little too thick which has caused it to not quite fit the cuff and thus it appears to stretch and split the silver casing and has had to be glued in place very slightly crooked. Retaining the silver backing would have made it worse thus it was not included in the upgrade. This gives a slightly canted hilt but I think it adds character no?

Elephant tusk hilts are not that rare in Oman. For example in a group of say 30 dignitaries there will be about half a dozen with these hilts..

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 6th October 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote