Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 7th February 2013, 02:12 PM   #1
JBarnett

Default Uncommon French 1804 Naval Briquet

Another little gem from my collection - This is a French Model 1804 Naval Cutlass (Sabre de Marine Briquet ANXI) with naval stamp, inspectors and hilt poincons. Hilt is marked with the anchors on either side, inspectors marks and the rack number. Blade is clean, with much of its original polish. The top portion of the scabbard survives with the top scabbard mount (not pictured). The Model 1804 was primarily manufactured for French ground troops and very few were issued to the French Navy. A nice and very uncommon French naval sword.
Attached Images

JBarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 02:38 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Nice and rare example, that with the anchor.
I assume you have all poinçons identified.

BTW, JBarnett ...may we know what the initial J stand for ?
... If you don't mind, of course .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 04:47 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

JBarnett, you a PM in your inbox.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Valjhun

Very Nice! Congratulations!

The "D" with a star in laurea stands for Jean Thomas Duboq, Chef de batallion, Director in Klingethal factory drom 22 november 1823 to 27 march of 1830.

The chained "B" stands for controleur Jean Georges Bick. He used this mark from Mai 1815 to August 1824.

The "L" stands for Francois Louis Lobstein. Another controleur from 27. july 1821 to 11. march 1829.

The achor near the 33 is perhaps 33rd Regiment des Marins. But that would be only a guess. It is a quite popular regiment with rich history, still in existence, currently stationed on Martinica!

Judging by the marks that is a Klingenthal sword made in 1823 or 1824. Not an Napoleonic piece, but still very desiderable and researchable piece of history!

Can we see the photo of the back of the sword. There should be an inscription, revealing perhaps a little bit more!
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 06:05 AM   #5
JBarnett

I do like this piece - I had originally thought the "B" was for Lieutenant-colonel Beaumaretz, which then caused me some cofusion (easy to do at my age) - but I do believe Bick is indeed correct! Thanks! I will get some better shots of the back tomorrow evening (got in late and ran out of time today).

John
JBarnett is offline   Reply With Quote