Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th November 2012, 02:49 PM   #1
mross

Default Bankung ended on ebay

Just won this bankung on ebay. What do you think? Any ideas on the handle?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200843395021...84.m1439.l2649
Attached Images

mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Sajen

Have watched this as well but bidding on two other items from the seller but passed the end and don't win. He mixed up the descriptions, funny!
Don't think that it is very old, maybe WWII area? The aluminium collar and the simple making of the blade, handle and scabbard let me think like this but the patina shows that it was in use. Just MHO.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 09:14 PM   #3
kai

Hello Mike,

Post-WW2, possibly vintage but certainly not antique. IMHO not a tourist piece but rather something to get the work done...

Hilt also seems to be an utilitarian version from less pricey wood; an aluminium ferrule would be certainly more en suite than silver.

Please give the blade an etch when you receive it: always interesting to learn how it got crafted.

Considering the low price, I guess this is a good example for any Moro collection until one chances upon an affordable, traditional, antique bankung.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
mross

I believe the blade is laminated. The pictures hint at it which is why I took the chance. I have recieved it the seller shipped very fast. In hand it looks like it could be laminated but someone "cleaned" it up with sand paper or a wire brush and left it with that wierd hazy finish. I do not think it was made for "those who travel". It has a distal taper and a good sharp edge.
Old 16th November 2012, 03:15 PM   #5
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Mike,

Post-WW2, possibly vintage but certainly not antique. IMHO not a tourist piece but rather something to get the work done...

Hilt also seems to be an utilitarian version from less pricey wood; an aluminium ferrule would be certainly more en suite than silver.

Please give the blade an etch when you receive it: always interesting to learn how it got crafted.

Considering the low price, I guess this is a good example for any Moro collection until one chances upon an affordable, traditional, antique bankung.

Regards,
Kai
The post WW-II seems reasonable given the aluminium. However, the Moro had a different view of al. then we do, to them it was very valuable, so I think this was more likely a user for someone with status. Though the handle raises questions. That's why this is so much fun!
Old 18th November 2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Bangkaya

Interesting sword you have there, but I would hesitate to call it a true bangkung from Sulu. Other than the blade, everything else points to a Bajau golok or parang from Sabah especially the design of the scabbard.

Regards,
Bangkaya
Bangkaya is offline   Reply With Quote