Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd September 2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Modern Gunbelt; Living breathing ethnographics !

Salaams all Heres a modern gunbelt. Showing how the old system has been adopted into the 21st Century. Note the retention of the traditional old buckle style and the VEE shaped silver worked pockets (big enough for a few small coins) as in days of old.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 2nd September 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 10:08 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

NICE WORKMANSHIP, COLORFUL AND PERHAPS AN ACTUAL ANTIQUE BUCKLE.
LONG AGO MANKIND FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE TACK/HARNESS FOR HIS WORK ANIMALS BE THEY HORSE, OX OR ELEPHANT. THEY HAVEN'T CHANGED MUCH OVER THE CENTURIES. SO IT IS WITH THE HARNESS MAN HAS DESIGNED FOR HIMSELF IT HAS BEEN ADAPTED TO MORE MOCERN WEAPONS FROM SWORD AND DAGGER TO AK AND GRENADES BUT IS LARGELY THE SAME. THE MATERIALS HAVE CHANGED BUT AS MANS FORM HAS REMAINED THE SAME HIS HARNESS CHANGES LITTLE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
NICE WORKMANSHIP, COLORFUL AND PERHAPS AN ACTUAL ANTIQUE BUCKLE.
LONG AGO MANKIND FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE TACK/HARNESS FOR HIS WORK ANIMALS BE THEY HORSE, OX OR ELEPHANT. THEY HAVEN'T CHANGED MUCH OVER THE CENTURIES. SO IT IS WITH THE HARNESS MAN HAS DESIGNED FOR HIMSELF IT HAS BEEN ADAPTED TO MORE MOCERN WEAPONS FROM SWORD AND DAGGER TO AK AND GRENADES BUT IS LARGELY THE SAME. THE MATERIALS HAVE CHANGED BUT AS MANS FORM HAS REMAINED THE SAME HIS HARNESS CHANGES LITTLE.
Salaams VANDOO ~ Please see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=cuttle+fish post 23 for the method of cuttlebone casting used in some old style Omani buckles.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 7th September 2012, 04:57 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THANK YOU FOR THE LINK TO THE POST ON CUTTLEBONE CASTING. I HAD SEEN SOME SORTS OF FINE SOFT NATURAL TALC STONE AND SANDSTONE USED IN THIS WAY BUT HAD NEVER THOUGHT OF USING CUTTLEBONE.
YET ANOTHER GIFT FROM THE SEA YOU CAN EAT THE CUTTLEFISH AND USE HIS BONE FOR SEVERAL PURPOSES. BEING A DIVER AND MARINE ZOOLOGIST I HAVE ENJOYED MANY HOURS WATCHING CUTTLEFISH.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
THANK YOU FOR THE LINK TO THE POST ON CUTTLEBONE CASTING. I HAD SEEN SOME SORTS OF FINE SOFT NATURAL TALC STONE AND SANDSTONE USED IN THIS WAY BUT HAD NEVER THOUGHT OF USING CUTTLEBONE.
YET ANOTHER GIFT FROM THE SEA YOU CAN EAT THE CUTTLEFISH AND USE HIS BONE FOR SEVERAL PURPOSES. BEING A DIVER AND MARINE ZOOLOGIST I HAVE ENJOYED MANY HOURS WATCHING CUTTLEFISH.
Salaams Vandoo ~ Thanks for the response... I was down the souk today and looking at Martini Henry Rifles and thought to shoot some pictures and feed them in here. Either that or I may start a new thread.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:31 PM   #6
rickystl

OHHHHH, what a beautiful gun belt!! Wish it would grow legs and walk to my house. Thanks for the photo. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 11:21 PM   #7
estcrh

Default Kamr gun belt.

Ibrahiim's post on gun belts reminded me of how few images of these types of once very common items there are available to see online. Here is one that is supposed to be from India, maybe someone has other images of gun belts that they can post.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 05:11 PM   #8
rickystl

Hi Estcrh !! That is a really nice set. Looks Indian to me too. And in nice condition. The stich work is really nice.
Here is an Afghan Kamar Belt I just purchased from Ebay. I was the only bidder. So got it cheap. Looks to be in good, complete condition with both powder and priming horns. It's on the way to me from the UK and should receive it sometime next week. I'll Post better pics after I receive it. This will make a nice addition to the Jazail I just purchased that I just Posted elsewhere. Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:59 AM   #9
archer

Default Afghan Kamar

Hi Estcrh, Lots of Similarities between yours and this one Tirri says They're Afghanistani if, I'm recalling correctly. Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:38 AM   #10
estcrh

Rick, very nice and your lucky no one else (like me) saw it on ebay, I knew there must be a few members with gun belts. I have looked online but there are very few images available.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote