Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th December 2011, 11:53 PM   #1
eftihis

Default islamic talismanic amulet translation please

Hi could i have translation of the text of this interesting islamic amulet?
It doesnt look older than the early 20th century, but it seems interesting and original!
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftihis
Hi could i have translation of the text of this interesting islamic amulet?
It doesnt look older than the early 20th century, but it seems interesting and original!
Salaams eftihis,

Whilst awaiting the rather big translation job...Can we possibly know where these were obtained and any extra information please? Amulets like these are across the entire Arabian spectrum and some can be traced back to Greek influence~ and are mentioned by the Greek General Niarchos. In Oman and worn by women the large disc is called a "Loh" often with the witch or "Djinn" crudely inscribed on one side and the protective verse on the other. Rarely the little boxes or "Hirz" have a letter inside either talismanic or giving important rights to the wearer such as land ownership or waterhole rights...often they are empty and worn as simple silver amulets and sealed with pitch(silver the moon). I have seen the leather ones round the upper arm though the others are for the neck.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Note; your previous hirz box was a superb example and I commend that to readers by simply typing in Hirz into search.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 9th December 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 02:14 PM   #3
eftihis

Dear Ibrahiim,
I am afraid i cannot give any more information, because i do not have any! These items, like the weapons also, are usually not found anymore in their place of origin. Have been bought decades ago and changed hands 2, 3 or more times...
So the language is not Arabic? It should be Turkish then!
Old 9th December 2011, 02:21 PM   #4
A.alnakkas

Hello,

Its a Qur'an verse. Atleast from a superficial reading :-)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 02:27 PM   #5
A.alnakkas

No actually it seems to be a mishmash. Common talisman :-) something that will make a sheikh cringe :P
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 02:19 AM   #6
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
No actually it seems to be a mishmash. Common talisman :-) something that will make a sheikh cringe :P
ha ha !!
but most women think themselves into talismans power,
even, in our days, at least in Egypt
my mother in law has dispersed and hid every where ... plenty,
in our Cairo residence, ... to prevent the "bad eye"
and doesn't matter, what could think the Sheikh ...

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Zifir

As far as I see there are names of prophets e.g. Hz. Süleyman (Solomon), Hz.Davud (David), Hz. Muhammed (s.a.v.), Hz. İsa (Christ) and holy books which were sent to them, after each, the word "bihakk" repeated. "Bihakk" means acknowledging that they are true and were originally sent by God. There are also prayers for which we need an arabic speaking person.
Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 11:43 PM   #8
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zifir
There are also prayers for which we need an arabic speaking person.
Hi Zifir
so sorry to don't participate to the translation tentative, but
Taghrid is reluctant to translate texts going against her convictions
in fact, even if she is highly educated,
she is very frightened with all what's related more or less to magic practices ... (forbidden in Islam)
some years have being necessary for her, to accept my collection of "talismanic Islamic bowls"
holy names mixed with Salomon seal,
and sentences as well as "abracadabra" or "Li-al-ayn wa-lial-nazar" (counteract the action of the evil eye) ....
put herself uncomfortable

all the best

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Hi Zifir
so sorry to don't participate to the translation tentative, but
Taghrid is reluctant to translate texts going against her convictions
in fact, even if she is highly educated,
she is very frightened with all what's related more or less to magic practices ... (forbidden in Islam)
some years have being necessary for her, to accept my collection of "talismanic Islamic bowls"
holy names mixed with Salomon seal,
and sentences as well as "abracadabra" or "Li-al-ayn wa-lial-nazar" (counteract the action of the evil eye) ....
put herself uncomfortable

all the best

à +

Dom

Salaams Dom,
That is more or less the same thinking of Omani People ~ Often it is enough to just mention the Talismanic region of "Bahla" to frighten anyone here...The idea of Djinn and Saar or witches and wizzards employing white or black majic still exists.

These ancient talsiman often pre-date Islam so they carry powerful majic in the minds of many even today...Rather the same effect as a black cat. Or walking under a ladder. Or the rabbits foot etc. etc. ~ in western culture.

Back to the paperwork.. This is quite old and will deteriorate if folded much more therefor I suggest having it framed under glass on acid proof card next to the Hirz box.

On the discs... In Oman usually there is a stickman impression of the witch ... against which....the wearer is protected. This is worn witch-side in.

In other discs or "Loh" (meaning information) there is usually a short religious phrase on the back and a geometrical decorated front. The disc showwn has some numbers mathematically formatted and is a (Loh) of some description.

In this case we seem to have a fairly basic, I would say bedouin(from somewhere in Arabia), set of Talisman with a rare insert i.e. quite intact... and worth preserving.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 11:02 AM   #10
eftihis

Thank you friends for your knoledgable comments and insights!
Well, the need of humans for protection is universall... Goes beoynd borders and religions. I like very much these simple amulets because they are for sure original and reflect the beliefs of teh normal people...
I was lucky during my 2-years stay in Japan and going 2 timew per week in the flea markets there to just find one Japanese amulet... The concept is very similar. You have to wear it with you, and there is a protective text, covered inside...
Attached Images