Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th October 2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Michael Blalock

Default Pricey Mecca Jambiya

Pricey Mecca Jambiya.
Ebay 170712480748
This Mecca style jambiya went for quite a bit of money. To my eye it looks like a common jambiya, the scabbard similar to the one worn by T. E. Lawrence in poses he did for Lowel Thomas. The hilt does not quite look Yemeni or Saudi. Maybe it was made when the stone and Hebrew inscriptions were added. I assume the changes were done in Isreal to sell it as an item of Yemenite “judaica” rather than as an Arabian piece. I have seen similar treatments done to Yemeni jewelry. See the attached photos of a necklace that I own made by a Jewish silversmith in Yemen. Originally these were made without stone or gilding for the wealthy Arab women. I have seen two of these with semiprecious stones attached and gilding sold in Israel for a fortune, $4000 to $5000. I would be interested in anyone’s opion of why this went for so much money.
Attached Images

Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blalock
Pricey Mecca Jambiya.
Ebay 170712480748
This Mecca style jambiya went for quite a bit of money. To my eye it looks like a common jambiya, the scabbard similar to the one worn by T. E. Lawrence in poses he did for Lowel Thomas. The hilt does not quite look Yemeni or Saudi. Maybe it was made when the stone and Hebrew inscriptions were added. I assume the changes were done in Isreal to sell it as an item of Yemenite “judaica” rather than as an Arabian piece. I have seen similar treatments done to Yemeni jewelry. See the attached photos of a necklace that I own made by a Jewish silversmith in Yemen. Originally these were made without stone or gilding for the wealthy Arab women. I have seen two of these with semiprecious stones attached and gilding sold in Israel for a fortune, $4000 to $5000. I would be interested in anyone’s opion of why this went for so much money.
Salaams, Yes its a tourist job... junk near enough.. no idea what the price went for but low quality . Ibrahiim
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 05:22 PM   #3
kahnjar1

According to closed auction it went for US$1200.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Michael Blalock

Yes, When it opened I had told the seller I thought it was a $50 Jambiya but the seller got quite a few offers so there is obviously some value there. I am assuming it is the association with 1950's Isreal.
Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 05:42 PM   #5
A.alnakkas

Well, I disagree on this being a cheap tourist piece, usually the tourists pieces dont have half the craftmanship done on the silver here. I think its an average Jambiya that has been edited to give it more value. Main reason I thought this was edited is because the inscription in the back is very well carved for the usual carving on Jambiyas.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 05:52 PM   #6
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Well, I disagree on this being a cheap tourist piece, usually the tourists pieces dont have half the craftmanship done on the silver here. I think its an average Jambiya that has been edited to give it more value. Main reason I thought this was edited is because the inscription in the back is very well carved for the usual carving on Jambiyas.
I agree this is not a tourist piece, and in my opinion is not Meccan style either. The term "Meccan style" relates (as I understand it) to the HILT rather than the scabbard. Also Meccan scabbards do not have the "butterfly" shape across between the hanging rings. This style is usually associated with Yemen. Attached is a pic of a Meccan Jambiya showing the typical straight strap between the rings, and the Meccan hilt. Check out the pics of T.E.L above and you will see that the Hilt and the straight straps are the same as this pic.
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

The scabbard is older than the dagger probably 1920s-32 the jambiya is circa 1940s-50s. Btw I agree it is not a Mecca style jambiya.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Oriental-Arms

The Hebrew writing is the "Song of Ascents" (Psalms 121). About a year ago we came across an Indian dagger, mid to late 19 C. with repairs or addition to the scabbard in a Yemeni style, with a very similar Hebrew writing on the back of the scabbard. Same text, though shorter. Even the title: You are a hero forever the lord, (in a free translation), is the same. See attached photos. I would think that to find the same text and the same writing on two different daggers – more than 100 years apart, is not just a coincidence. It is a later addition to give the dagger a "Judaica" flavor, which (unfortunately) realizes higher amounts than “just” a dagger.
Attached Images

Oriental-Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:36 AM   #9
A.alnakkas

Thanks for the clarification, Artzi :-)

Can you show us what a REAL jewish craftmanship jambiya is? I know that there is a good number of jambiyas made by yemeni's that have the star of david stamped to give the jambiya more value..
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote