Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th August 2010, 04:29 PM   #1
stephen wood

Default Old Kaskara with Celestial Engraving and Etching for Comment

An interesting sword: light, flexible 33" blade with single fuller. Engraved star and moon. Later, local (?) acid-etched star. Unusual crossguard with horizontal "ridge" and no recess for blade.
Attached Images

stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hello Stephen,
This is of course another of the intriguing examples of kaskara and Sudanese weapons you have shared here over the past two years. In this time, it has become apparant that you must have acquired some expertise in these weapons with your clear interest in them, as well as the discussions that have ensued with examples you have shown.
You just made a presentation specifically on the kaskara to one of the most prestigious arms and armour societies in the world in London, which leads me to believe you do know a bit on these weapons.

Yet you typically offer little of your own insight on these examples you post?
While the number of us who are also interested in these weapons will benefit from the material you have offered to share from the presentation to the Society, perhaps you might occasionally offer a clue here and there or an observation based on your own expertise in handling so many of these.

Obviously the examples themselves that you post are often imbued with many anomalies and curiosities, but we are here to learn together, and just as many of us add our comments, I think yours should be presented as well and the discussion should follow accordingly.

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 11:50 PM   #3
katana

Hi Stephen,
as you are probably aware...the blade is likely to be a European trade blade .....the examples I have seen tend to have the engavings of the moon, a star .....and the sun ....which is missing from yours. However the sun is usually positioned with the other symbols so may have been where the acid etched star is now residing.

Assuming the sun symbol was deliberately removed and the area then covered with the 'star' .....my next question would be why ?

The sword also looks to have been shortened....perhaps because of damage to the tip (the fuller now runs to the tip)

Regards David

Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 12:12 AM   #4
stephen wood

...thanks Jim.

I have tried to see as many as I can, either in person or photographically. By sheer weight of numbers I can attempt a deduction about a particular kaskara (or a component such as a crossguard) but in the absence of reliable provenance it will remain a (hopefully) informed guess.

If I don't say much it's simply because I don't know much and try to share the little I do know...

The presentation comprised a provisional categorization of blades, crossguards and grips; some suggestions about the kaskara's possible history and development; its continued use. As I mentioned in another post earlier today, I would like to post a slideshow to the forum.

Now, as to this particular example:

the blade does seem quite old - the "European" star and moon are finely engraved, the etched star is rough - almost a graffito. The only other crossguard without a blade recess I've seen was also with an older blade so maybe that is some indicator of age. The "upper" langet is fully formed rather than vestigial - in my experience age again, as is the absence of file marks. The bulbous ridge between the langets might also by weight of comparison indicate age. Very curious - although I'm certain that the blade is forged, it is thin at its base so that it wobbles from the ricasso rather than nearer the point (as we see in the Youtube clips).

The absence of the sun also intrigues me: there is simply no trace of its having been there.

There again I could be wrong about all that

Last edited by stephen wood; 7th August 2010 at 12:23 AM.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 12:53 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Now thats what I'm talkin about!!! Beautifully stated and well placed observations Stephen, and never underestimate your own knowledge on these. Obviously you have well captured variances in the key features, and if I may, I admire your modesty. The truth is, there are no real 'experts', and all we do is express what we think or observe, regardless of the ultimate outcome. As most here know, I throw a lot of ideas and perceptions out there fully knowing I may well get blasted...in fact, often I hope I do, as long as better supported data is presented.

David, who is another who I admire for his 'thinking outside the box' approach, has entered in some excellent notes here as well, on the usual application of celestial symbols on European blades, and keyed in on the most compelling anomaly of all on this example.....the etched pentagram in what appears a replacement position in the typical cabbalistic grouping.

This is indeed an old European blade from what I can see, and as you note as well, the pentagram star is etched. This seems almost to fall keenly in place with the well established practice of acid etched thuluth inscriptions. Most of this activity seems to have taken place at Omdurman in the Mahdist period, but certainly the use of the process continued after the Mahdiya.

Along with you and David , I am puzzled by the absence of the sun coupled with the addition of this most unusual element, this pentagram star. Aside from all the inevitable cracks about the occult, what must this symbol have meant to whoever applied it?
You make very important notes on the structural components of the hilt and the thinness of the blade toward to top. As my knowledge on blade modifications is limited and David has noted possible shortening, could the blade root have been the point of shortening, and that end of the blade become thinner from stock removal, also losing the sun image?

I very much appreciate your courtesy in offering to place a slide show on your presentation, and will see what more can be done on that. Speaking for myself, though I am sure for others here as well, I'm very proud to have one of our own members presenting before this extremely prominent society.
Well done!!!

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote