Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th April 2010, 03:24 PM   #1
katana

Default An old 'wicked' spear head

Another spear question, this spear is wickedly barbed and 'cringe' at the thought of the poor victim whom has to have this removed .

Seems quite old, the dark stable rust layer seems to suggest 19th C I have no idea as to origin......but wondered whether this is possibly a piece from around the time of the Mahdi uprising. Extremely barbed spears were reported as being used against the British ...causing terrible wounds.

All comments greatfully received, thank you

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Martin Lubojacky

Hi David,

this kind of spears was also used for fishing
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 06:46 PM   #3
katana

Hi Martin,
thanks for the reply . I had considered this as a possible fishing spear, but the size and decoration seems to suggest otherwise. Its OAL is 39cms ( approx. 15 inches). I have a fishing spearhead used for Nile perch (which can grow to 2m in length ) which is smaller, only a few barbs and is undecorated. I also considered it might be a 'croc' hunting spear but again usually they have few, if any, barbs and are rarely decorated.

The other consideration is that a barbed fishing spearhead would have to be firmly attached to the shaft. Otherwise the head could detach from the shaft .....losing the head .....and a fish. Many socketted fishing spears often have a hole to nail or rivet the head onto the shaft.

I am not saying your suggestion is wrong, but I think its quite possible, that its function is more to greviously wound humans, than to catch fish.

All the best
David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote