Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th July 2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Sommelier

Default What is it?

Dear Sirs,

Could you suggest, what could be these items?
It's kind of weapon or peasant's tools?
Attached Images

Sommelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 08:15 AM   #2
Henk

These items certainly look like weapons to me. Not my field, but I guess East Europe, Balkan area or maybe the direction of Turkey.

The experts will let you know.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Rich

I've no idea on the top knife. But the bottom one IMHO has the characteristics
of a Chinese fighting knife or chopper.

Rich S
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

I would say the top one is from Formosa and the bottom one is a Chinese fighting knife both 19th century and are quite rare.

http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=1069

http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=1153

Lew

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 28th July 2006 at 12:47 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

The top one is indeed a Taiwanese knife (northern or central Taiwan). There is an old thread here http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000858.html that links to another thread, both of which discuss these knives in some detail.

The second one does look Chinese in origin but could be Taiwanese too.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 03:43 PM   #6
Rich

Is there any significant difference between Chinese and Taiwanese
vintage weapons? I would think that at the time of this piece Taiwan
would have been Chinese (of course the Chinese think it still is :-)

Rich S
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation

Paging Yuanzhumin .....

Another Taiwan link :
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1223
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 07:39 AM   #8
Cyclura99

Default What is it?

Aboriginal Formosan, Ataylal tribe or one of the other indigenous aboriginal tribal groups but probably Atayal, style of the blade and scabbard.

NOT Chinese nor Taiwanese....................

CY , the king of everything.
Cyclura99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 08:49 AM   #9
yuanzhumin

Smile

I love this forum !
I didn’t pay attention to the exchanges for a while. Then, suddenly arrive a message on Taiwan stuff, and here are the fellow members, remembering that I love everything from this island, paging or private emailing me. Many thanks for your concerns and shared interest !
From what I see, the first knife seems to be from Taiwan. But when I say Taiwan, I mean the aboriginal tribes living there, the original inhabitants of the island, not the Han (chinese) population that arrived after the 16 th cent.
The shape of the blade is typical of the northern tribes (Atayal, Truku, Saisiat). The shape of the scabbard, with the 4 holes to hold it, is confirming the aboriginal origin. To be 100% sure, we would just need a picture of its other side. If the scabbard is open on its other side and the blade sustained inside by iron staples, it is definitly a Taiwanese aboriginal knife.
But what makes this cutlass particular is the painting on the scabbard. Traditionnally, and mostly among the northern tribes, there are no colors/drawings on the scabbard. Except when the aboriginal owner evolved from what the Taiwanese before were calling a ‘ raw ‘ savage to the status of ‘cooked’ savage, under the influence of its contacts with the Han population, that means, to be clear, when the owner of the knife became sinicized. These sinicised aborigines are refered today as ‘Pingpu’ or lowland aborigines. In fact, now, we could say that most of the Taiwanese (except the ones that arrived from China in 1949 with Chiang Kai-shek) are descending from these Pingpu people, as 80% of the modern population has mixed chinese/aboriginal blood.
So this knife is belonging to an aboriginal guy that was in the mountains and then accepted the chinese culture to become a Pingpu. This is a transitional knife. In this transition, there are different steps, and you can see that this knife remained still primitive in its drawings when, on the two examples shown by Louieblade (thanks for the link), that are also both Pingpu knives, the impression given when you see the drawings is that they are really looking like han/chinese. In these cases, only the open scabbard and few details in the drawings remain to remind us that the owners of these knives were coming from aboriginal backgrounds.
Sommelier ? What a nice name ! Do you have any great wines to share with us ?
Best,
Yuanzhumin getting thirsty
PS I don’t know anything concerning the second knife, except it is not from the Taiwanese aboriginal tribes.
yuanzhumin is offline   Reply With Quote