Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd July 2022, 03:24 PM   #1
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
So, no interest in or comment on these swords? Are they all very, very recent 'fakes' - I am not afraid that I was 'taken' as I do not have a lot invested in them. So, please, enlighten me!
Lee,
I know, it is a frustrating experience to show a sword for discussion and get zero responses.
In your case it is not so much lack of interest in a particular posting as the lack of knowledge about the general topic (thin line berween the two but you understand my meaning)
I can hardly remember anyone on this forum dedicated to Chinese swords.

Your query can be professionally answered only by a Chinese-focused person, and I can recall only one,- Peter Dekker. Certainly there are others in the general arms-collecting community, but I just do not know of them.

Sorry for being of no use.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2022, 04:53 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Lack of knowledge indeed. I had a huge good steel, two handed Chinese sword with a long rectangular red painted handle. A brass circular loose fitting guard. Your usual militaria people would say this is just a show theatre sword. I now deeply regret letting it go for very little. If you have a hunch don't be fooled by lore and the uniformed. Hang on to it until sure.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:54 PM   #3
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
I can hardly remember anyone on this forum dedicated to Chinese swords.

Your query can be professionally answered only by a Chinese-focused person, and I can recall only one,- Peter Dekker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Lack of knowledge indeed.
Outside of Mandarin Mansion it seems to be surprisingly hard to find good information about Chinese swords. Are there any good, well illustrated English language books about antique Chinese arms out there?
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2022, 11:09 PM   #4
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Lack of knowledge indeed. I had a huge good steel, two handed Chinese sword with a long rectangular red painted handle. A brass circular loose fitting guard. Your usual militaria people would say this is just a show theatre sword. I now deeply regret letting it go for very little. If you have a hunch don't be fooled by lore and the uniformed. Hang on to it until sure.
Tim, those militaria people are next to useless when evaluating anything ethnographic, or even pre-Industrial Revolution European weapons. I've lost track of the times when, at a gun show, some yahoo showed me a crappy Filipino or Chinese fighting knife and tried to sell it to me as a "last ditch Confederate naval bowie". If my restoration talents took a turn for larceny I bet I could make a few bucks by stamping CSA on the blades and inducing the proper level of pitting and patina to match everything else.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2022, 07:53 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
... Your query can be professionally answered only by a Chinese-focused person, and I can recall only one,- Peter Dekker. Certainly there are others in the general arms-collecting community, but I just do not know of them...
How about PhilipTom; i guess he didn't notice this thread... yet !
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2022, 01:59 AM   #6
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
How about PhilipTom; i guess he didn't notice this thread... yet !

Sorry, sorry, sorry!
Alzheimer moment…..
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:13 AM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Sorry, sorry, sorry!
Alzheimer moment…..
I told you. The cavalry hasn't yet been alerted .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2022, 12:06 PM   #8
ariel

Since Philip Tom with his vast knowledge of Eastern weapons has joined the discussion, I would like to re-address my question to him:
- what are his thoughts about the peculiar form of the chape of the scabbard belonging to the second from the top sword? Is it specifically Chinese or was it employed in other cultures?