Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th June 2005, 06:14 AM   #1
Antonio Cejunior

Smile Paging Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I knew I had this picture saved.
Hope you don't mind

Is this a Montagnard? I love the blade's shape and the handle.
Would greatly appreciate some more photos and specs
Thank you sooo much
Attached Images

Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 06:43 AM   #2
Antonio Cejunior

Smile Further

It is interesting that by my eye judgement, the handle is 1/3 of the overall length, which means it is 1/2 of the blade's lenght.

In a purely functional perspective, I have always thought that the golden proportions for a sword would always be 1/3 handle + 2/3 blade.
It just works in very harmonious balance and the Thais knew that.

Some of my own examples just to corroborate:

Apologies for the bandwith.

Thanks once more.
Old 17th June 2005, 04:39 PM   #3
Andrew

Hi Antonio.

Now I know which sword you've been referring to! That's not a Montagnard dha. That's a contemporary Thai sword that fits loosely into the "Shan" category (although we need to revisit that typology--someday.).

Here is an excellent thread on the old forum that Ian started regarding these particular swords: http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001291.html

The fact that this particular sword is contemporary should not discourage you. It is an historical style, and is my personal favorite (I, too, favor the 1/3 handle, 2/3 blade distribution for my swords, particularly those I cut with).

I have several older examples of this style in my collection, and the custom sword I comissioned from John Lundemo was based on it:

The sword you posted is no longer in my possession (I gifted it to Ian some years ago to assist him in his research of these contemporary Thai swords). However, I'll be happy to provide you with the stats on my Lundemo dha, as well as some other older, but very similar, Shan/Thai swords. In fact, one appears in my avatar.

Best regards,
Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 05:54 PM   #4
Antonio Cejunior

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your clarification. I am really still very ignorant on Dhas and Dharbs, and my available time is rather limited.
Nonetheless I've learnt something more Practical lessons are the best way to learn. I don't feel discouraged by it being contemporary. I am glad we share the same 1/3 handle 2/3 blades proportion

Actually I view all types of Thai swords to have a very innovative and diversified shapes.
I'll definitely bookmark Ian's thread, and I suspect that the sword below belongs to the same category/typology of Shan

I see that it has a slightly curved handle.

That beautiful damascus dha you comissioned has some exquisite carving that somehow blends with the damascus. I believe I can see that the blade has some niku compared to Thai blades. Is this true or is it a reflection?

This is a question out of curiosity on how one's experience in one type of blade transmits into another type.

My custom dha type sword by Nathan Creel is a very robust blade compared to the thinner dha blade that I bought from Lung-Som and it also has niku, reason why I asked

Thank you very much.
Going to hit the sack
Old 17th June 2005, 07:45 PM   #5
Andrew

Hi Antonio,

Your eye is, as always, very keen. No niku in the sense you'd find it on a Japanese sword, but it is quite "meaty". Also, it has been given a thick, "apple-seed" edge, which may be what you're noticing. It's easily the best cutting sword I've ever handled.

Most dha have a wedge-shaped blade cross-section. Some are very thin and light, and some are more than 1/4" (>1cm) at the spine. Spines are often flat, but many will be peaked to greater or lesser degree (but not, in my experience, anything approaching the ridge-line on a Japanese sword).

So many different blade shapes and forms appear on dha that you really can't go "wrong". Please keep me posted on the progress of this project. I'm excited to see where you take it.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 10:31 PM   #6
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Hi Antonio,

Your eye is, as always, very keen. No niku in the sense you'd find it on a Japanese sword, but it is quite "meaty". Also, it has been given a thick, "apple-seed" edge, which may be what you're noticing. It's easily the best cutting sword I've ever handled.

Most dha have a wedge-shaped blade cross-section. Some are very thin and light, and some are more than 1/4" (>1cm) at the spine. Spines are often flat, but many will be peaked to greater or lesser degree (but not, in my experience, anything approaching the ridge-line on a Japanese sword).

So many different blade shapes and forms appear on dha that you really can't go "wrong". Please keep me posted on the progress of this project. I'm excited to see where you take it.

Best,
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Most kind of you. Yes, the apple seed edge was very much what I wanted to mean. Not like a V type straight section hira-zukuri.

I have noticed some of the ridges in Dhas and they are very nice with their markings. I have opted for a less wide blade because of the scabbard mouth, but there will be blade where blade is needed and I will polish the blade which will receive two pins.

The project can be seen here http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/th...nk.project.htm and I very much like the contrast of the wood with the black wood.
Can't wait for it

Again thank you for your kind advice,
Best,

Antonio