Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th August 2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Kulino

Default Collection of Sajen

Dear all,

Lately I’ve become custodian of a substantial number of keris sajen, jimat and kudi.
What to do with this collection without breaking it up is a valid question. Museums won’t be interested in a collection, maybe in the odd one. Repatriating is not a real option for obvious reasons.
There seems to be a rapidly shifting interest, from antiques in general and keris more specific to, maybe modern art? The number of baby boom collectors is decreasing; substantial collections are being sold off, raising very little interest. I’ve had this discussion with friends. A keris or any other collector item has a monetary value but more importantly, also a cultural value. What is left of that if there is no one to share this with? Can we remedy this in any way, apart from sharing our interests on this forum ? ( Maybe not in the first place to protect the monetary value although to some of use that might be a concern as well. )
I would like to start a discussion about this problem which may concern more of us. For all good purposes, this collection is not for sale.

Next I would like to share the keris part of this collection with you. At least if there is enough interest in it. This is to open it up for study purposes, but also to charm you by these intriguing keris. This collection of about 86 sajen has never been published or shown in any way to other collectors. It was collected over the last 50 to 60 years here in the Netherlands and on Java. There are old ones and recent ones. Some were added to the collection to serve as study material to compare old and new. Genuine or different, I leave that to your esteemed judgement. Mr.Theo Alkema nor members of any keris study club have ever seen this collection. The collection resides in the Netherlands. As long as there is enough interest I will keep on posting. If there are collectors out there who are interested in the jimat and kudi (about 60), I will start a new string on the other forum. Please ask me to do so.
To any person who really is studying this type of keris; I will consider questions about taking additional pictures of details. However, since I still have a regular job, you have to grant me time to accommodate.
Best,
Kulino
Attached Images

Kulino is offline   Reply With Quote