Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th August 2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Kulino

Default Collection of Sajen

Dear all,

Lately I’ve become custodian of a substantial number of keris sajen, jimat and kudi.
What to do with this collection without breaking it up is a valid question. Museums won’t be interested in a collection, maybe in the odd one. Repatriating is not a real option for obvious reasons.
There seems to be a rapidly shifting interest, from antiques in general and keris more specific to, maybe modern art? The number of baby boom collectors is decreasing; substantial collections are being sold off, raising very little interest. I’ve had this discussion with friends. A keris or any other collector item has a monetary value but more importantly, also a cultural value. What is left of that if there is no one to share this with? Can we remedy this in any way, apart from sharing our interests on this forum ? ( Maybe not in the first place to protect the monetary value although to some of use that might be a concern as well. )
I would like to start a discussion about this problem which may concern more of us. For all good purposes, this collection is not for sale.

Next I would like to share the keris part of this collection with you. At least if there is enough interest in it. This is to open it up for study purposes, but also to charm you by these intriguing keris. This collection of about 86 sajen has never been published or shown in any way to other collectors. It was collected over the last 50 to 60 years here in the Netherlands and on Java. There are old ones and recent ones. Some were added to the collection to serve as study material to compare old and new. Genuine or different, I leave that to your esteemed judgement. Mr.Theo Alkema nor members of any keris study club have ever seen this collection. The collection resides in the Netherlands. As long as there is enough interest I will keep on posting. If there are collectors out there who are interested in the jimat and kudi (about 60), I will start a new string on the other forum. Please ask me to do so.
To any person who really is studying this type of keris; I will consider questions about taking additional pictures of details. However, since I still have a regular job, you have to grant me time to accommodate.
Best,
Kulino
Attached Images

Kulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 06:13 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for starting this off with a couple of examples from this collection.
I am not sure what the over all interest will be, but i do know that there are a few members like myself and Alan Maisey who have a great interest in these, though admittedly i cannot say that i have much great knowledge on them beyond reading Theo's book and intermittent discussions on this forum.
I cannot tell for sure, but does that first example also display picit elements (finger impressions along the blade)?
You might want you look though our archives on discussions we have previously had on keris sajen. Here is one link, but you will find others, both under "keris sajen" and the misnomered tag "keris majapahit".
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=putut
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 06:31 PM   #3
Kulino

Dear David,
Thanks for the link. I came across it earlier. BTW, both keris have picit.
I've added the next set of two keris.
I have to appologise for the somewhat unsharp close up pictures. Again if that is a problem and some one would like to have better images to study, I'll see to it. For now I'll leave it to it.
Attached Images

Old 21st August 2017, 12:29 AM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulino
Next I would like to share the keris part of this collection with you. At least if there is enough interest in it. The collection resides in the Netherlands. As long as there is enough interest I will keep on posting.
Hello Kulino,

I for my part are very interested to see the complete collection, I like this small keris sajen very much and have byself a small collection of them, see the link David has posted. Thank you very much for sharing.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 03:08 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Please do keep going.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 07:51 AM   #6
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Kulino,

I'm with the others and applaud to your efforts to share the whole collection with us! I'd also be very interested in the jimat and kudi - it's rare to see good examples of these, too!

Could you possibly tell us more on the background of the original collector? It does seem that he was especially into the metaphysical side of things?

Regarding discussing the fate of "our" collections that we're currently taking care of, maybe this would be good to discuss in this dedicated thread here:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22474

While discussing the pieces on this forum allows for additional info and welcome interaction, it may also be an option to put up a dedicated website presenting and virtually preserving the full collection in a somewhat more structured approach. This has already been done for our late long-time forumite Lew:
http://www.vikingsword.com/lew/index.html

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by kai; 21st August 2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Re-Baptism. ;)
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 12:19 PM   #7
Kulino

Default Dedicated webspace

Dear Detlef,
Thanks for the links. The one about what to do next, is focussing on selling it , which is an alternative. When my friend and I talked about what to do with it, his preference clearly was to keep it together. That would be my first goal. We also talked about how to promote interest. Our idea is that in order to raise this, you have to able to fall in love with quality pieces. This seems to be contradictive to the keeping together idea.
Attached Images

Old 21st August 2017, 12:21 PM   #8
Kulino

Default next batch

Next batch
Attached Images

Old 21st August 2017, 12:29 PM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Regards,
Detlef
Hello Kai,

do you have changed your name because you like my one more?

Best,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 01:45 PM   #10
Kulino

Default Double indentity or passport? :)

Saw that too, got a bit confused. I gather Kai send me the reply with the links and not Detlef? Sorry for my misnaming.
Old 21st August 2017, 08:36 PM   #11
kai

Talking

Hello Detlef,

Quote:
do you have changed your name because you like my one more?
Possibly, or it might have been a Freudian slip since a keris sajen that had already my name on it found its way to you by accident...

Regards,
Kai "a rose by any other name..."
kai is offline   Reply With Quote