Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th July 2007, 07:49 AM   #1
wolviex

Exclamation EASTERN INFLUENCES ON POLISH ARMS

Dear Friends!

Few months ago I had a great pleasure to be invited to Timonium to give a speech on Eastern Influences on Polish Arms.

Now the text is available here on the Vikingsword in PDF file:

link - just go to the Europe section

or just click here:
PDF - Right click and 'save as' will save it on your local Hard Disk, left click will open it.

Unfortunatelly, because of the PDF file size I had to limit number of pictures comparing to that I presented during the speech. Also this is just a basic text without all additional remarks I made during the evening. Anyway I hope you'll enjoy it.

With this thread I would like to open a discussion/question thread if there will be any desire to take one

Thank you and best regards
Michal
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Ferguson

Michal,
I had the pleasure of seeing your presentation at Timonium. While I previously had no experience with Polish arms, I found it fascinating. Thank you very much!

Steve Ferguson
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

Michal,

Thank you for making your speech available for those of us who did not join the meeting in Baltimore. I am looking forward to studying it.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Mark

I recently e-mailed a copy to those who put their addresses on a list at the seminar. One e-mail bounced back, so I must be misreading it. If you put your name on the list & didn't get your copy, send me a PM with the address again and I'll send it.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 10:01 AM   #5
wolviex

Thank you for kind words!

Thank you Mark for your efforts!

If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to use this thread.

Regards!
Old 18th July 2007, 01:36 PM   #6
ariel

Dear Michal,
I got a copy yesterday and read it. First rate article: systematic, clear, great examples.
You may consider expanding it for a book. I will buy it and so will many more weapon collectors. This is a fascinating subject and I learned a lot: never knew that Hussars were originally Serbian, for example. You mention cautiously that Karabela is likely to be of Turkish origin: so, you are not subscribing to the Karbala story? Glad to hear it; it always looked to me to be as farfetched as " cara e bella".
Great job!
Ariel
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 07:40 AM   #7
wolviex

Thank you Ariel, though the article was written as a speech and it is quite general. First of all I had only one month plus few days to write it, and the subject (which seemed to be quite obvious for me) appeared to be very complicated. So I decided to not to involve in detailed disputes as with karabela case, where many different ideas are still under discussion, but focus on main problem.
The book would be very interesting, I agree. But there is still a lot of work to do with the problem so maybe in the future. On the other hand I could only rely on already published researches and add only few of my really original thoughts - there wasn't enough time to do my own investigations
Regards!