Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th December 2021, 07:33 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default The Toledo factory

To be precise, by the end of 1808 when the occupation by the enemy was imminent, the factory of Toledo evacuated, whith equipment and personel, to a new factory in Seville; however only active for a little while, during 1809, once in the same year the French advance caused its transfer to a new plant in Cadiz, where they stayed until, by order of 16 December 1813, it has returned to Toledo, then free of occupation by the enemy, whom had used its premises as an artillery park.
(Juan L. Calvó)
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2021, 09:40 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
To be precise, by the end of 1808 when the occupation by the enemy was imminent, the factory of Toledo evacuated, whith equipment and personel, to a new factory in Seville; however only active for a little while, during 1809, once in the same year the French advance caused its transfer to a new plant in Cadiz, where they stayed until, by order of 16 December 1813, it has returned to Toledo, then free of occupation by the enemy, whom had used its premises as an artillery park.
(Juan L. Calvó)
Thank you Fernando! May I ask, which reference by Mr. Calvo this is from. I need more data on the Spanish sword making firms of this period.
BTW, good call on the inscription partly obscured by langet, I totally missed that
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2021, 10:21 AM   #3
fernando

Default If doubts were ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
... good call on the inscription partly obscured by langet, I totally missed that ...
I just can't imagine that a blade with such inscription setup has originally belonged to the sword where it is presently .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
... I ask, which reference by Mr. Calvo this is from. I need more data on the Spanish sword making firms of this period...
The mentioned reference comes in page 91 of Armamento Español en la Guerra de la Independencia, notwithstanding this may appear in other works of same author. He also refers in page 14 that, when the Independence (Peninsular) war initiated, the occupation of the factories of Placencia, Cataluña, Oviedo y Toledo either took place or there was no way to avoid it, reason why it was decided to admit the smiths evacuated or those that had ran away in new factories to organize in territory not controled by the invader. Factories were established in Seville, Cadiz, Granada, Jerez de La Frontera, Murcia, Valencia, and Berga, among others. All were occupied and dismantled, with exception of Cadiz and Ceuta. Worth to mention were Seville, Valencia and Cadiz. The one in Seville due to being the most important of those projected, despite having not exceeded the six months of its existence; the one in Valencia due to, being among those dismantled by the enemy, kept active for the largest space of time, since November 1808 until the beginning of 1812; and the one in Cadiz, as the main one among those that were not occupied by the enemy.

Attached Images

Old 27th December 2021, 02:47 PM   #4
fernando

Default Further from Dom Calvó's website ...

SABLES AND MOUNTED SWORDS, WITH STIRRUP IRON HILTS.
In the Illustrated Dictionary of Artillery, published between 1853 and 1866, the only illustrated munition model is the one called "English Sword" (Md. 1796 for Line Cavalry). The sabers do not include the "English model" (Md. 1796 for Light Cavalry), but its existence in Spanish museums and collections is no less abundant than that of the sword. These English models arrived in Spain on two occasions, during the War of Independence, and then during the Carlist War of 1833-1840, acquired by the Spanish Government from the English, which thus had the opportunity to get rid of the antiquated armaments that filled its warehouses. Connoisseurs affirm that the saber was an excellent combat weapon, not the sword, which was excessively heavy to "saber or carry".
With an iron stirrup hilt, the only munition models used by Spanish cavalry forces were the English ones from 1796, which at certain times were able to outnumber the Spanish in service. There is no doubt that in 1833, Salas referred to them when he stated how in 1814 "there were generally English swords and sabers in our cavalry." "ENGLISH SWORD" IN THE ILLUSTRATED DICTIONARY OF ARTILLERY (1853-66) In the Illustrated Dictionary of Artillery, published between 1853 and 1866, the only illustrated munition model is the one called "English Sword" (Md. 1796 for Line Cavalry ). The sabers do not include the "English model" (Md. 1796 for Light Cavalry), but its existence in Spanish museums and collections is no less abundant than that of the sword. These English models arrived in Spain on two occasions, during the War of Independence, and then during the Carlist War of 1833-1840, acquired by the Spanish Government from the English, which thus had the opportunity to get rid of the antiquated armaments that filled its warehouses. Connoisseurs affirm that the saber was an excellent combat weapon, not the sword, which was excessively heavy to "saber or carry". With a stirrup guard, in iron, there was an irregular "war" production in Spain, dating from between 1808 and 1814, but in general its manufacture would be said to be destined for "privates", meeting the demand of Chiefs and Officers and obeying the design "by fashion" rather than constituting "officer variants" of some munition models, which in any case could only be the British in 1796, of adoption to be defined as "accidental", caused by war. Among these "Officer" sabers, the most surprising are those whose blade includes the marks of the munition specimens, the crowned R followed by the monarch's figure, and the review Ca. D La. that indicates them destined to the 1st. Line Cavalry of the line. The use of munition blades was usual in the subsequent manufacture of "Officer" swords and sabers, but I consider the production of a curved saber model unacceptable, as a team of line cavalry troops, and the only explanation that occurs to me. This is the blades of the horsemen sword for line Cavalry, of the model introduced in 1802, which were later manipulated, "bent", for use in the construction of "Officer" sabers.

Resuming ...
Ilations on Calien's sword, factory, production date, customer, have still a wide open door. Do not forget that sword pattern 'reproductions' were made at Toledo, bearing the new date and not that of the original production. Still 1812 could be a customer (Campbel) whim; like he has been around by then ... and or his could be a Brit sword.

Attached Images

Old 27th December 2021, 06:17 PM   #5
Calien

Good evening gents, thank you for your replies. I should add a few things to this conversation, for example the provenance. This came from the Sitwell legacy estate auction and allegedly it has been in the family for over 150 years. Secondly the scabbard without a doubt is made for this blade, it’s much too irregular to be randomly fitted into one, and the ears are just wide enough for the throat to fit in it as I will provide in the pictures. Lastly there is an image of a Osborne and Gumby 1796 clip point saber with the same scabbard and as far as I’m aware they were only made between 1810-1815. Part of the signature being under the langets really doesn’t raise any meaning to me as many makers signed their name under the langets (French, German ect) i do have issues with the dates though because officially Toledo was shut down there until 1814, but the British did have control of it during several months in 1812.
Attached Images

Calien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2021, 08:24 PM   #6
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calien View Post
... i do have issues with the dates though because officially Toledo was shut down there until 1814, but the British did have control of it during several months in 1812.
Calien, i have burnt my eyelashes searching the Web, under various contexts, on such British control of the factory during some time 1812, but found no results. Can you give us a clue as to where we can learn that ?
Thank you.
Old 29th December 2021, 05:47 PM   #7
Calien

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Calien, i have burnt my eyelashes searching the Web, under various contexts, on such British control of the factory during some time 1812, but found no results. Can you give us a clue as to where we can learn that ?
Thank you.

What I meant to say is that after the battle of Salamanca the British liberated central Spain including Madrid and Toledo for a period of about 5 months, after the French concentrated their army he retreated to Portugal again until 1813. So Toledo itself was under British/Spanish control for a few months that year.
Old 27th December 2021, 06:42 PM   #8
Calien

Here is the Osborn and Gumby
Attached Images

Old 27th December 2021, 07:45 PM   #9
fernando

Well Calien, if the British were in control of the Toledo Factory for a long while in 1812, that changes the perspective; whether it is possible that Campbel commissioned a sword with his name on the blade, or at least this opens a door to such probability. This considering that the factory was fully operational by then and he managed to organize blade smith, hilt artisan, scabbard fitter and engraver to set it up.
By the way, i don't recall anyone having questioned that the scabbard would not be the proper one for your sword.
However the inscriptions being partly hidden by the langets, a practice that, as you note, often occurs, i view it that the (some) blade makers, not being able to realize which type of hilts will be mounted on them, do not ponder to leave space enough for the inscription to be fully visible. A question of common sense, i guess.
Also new for me is that Toledo also forged this type of blades with yelmen; but that should be no surprise, as my knowledge of these is extremely limited.
Stay safe.

Last edited by fernando; 27th December 2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 27th December 2021, 09:18 PM   #10
Radboud

The scabbard raises a couple of flags with me, rings are out of period. They could be replacements, but at the time split rings would be used for officer swords.

Also I can’t see the brazing seam where the scabbard joins on the underside. Both of these could point to a later manufacture date for the scabbard at least.
Radboud is offline   Reply With Quote