Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th February 2015, 05:41 AM   #1
DaveA

Default Weapons from Sumedang Regency 1880 − 1912 +/-

I've become very interested in the edged weapons originating in the hamlets near the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army (KNIL) Headquarters in the Sumedang (Soemedang) Regency of Java, Indonesia in the era of the Aceh wars and slightly thereafter. There are quite a few threads in these forums that touch upon swords from this area and era. I hope in this new thread to pull the information together (with links to sources) for ease of future reference.

As I review the pictures of the swords, it is fascinating to see what can only be called a "collaboration" between the traditional smiths of Java and their European customers as they melded ideas to create what are really a unique group of swords. No two are alike, although they share common elements such as the okir design motif.

I also collect Navajo textiles and this "collaboration" in Indonesia is very reminiscent of the time when traditional native American designs (e.g., simple designs found on the "horse blanket") were melded with ideas from the trading posts. The trading posts had to sell the rugs back East, and buyers wanted rugs that had a Persian sensibility: far more complex than traditional Navajo designs. As a result of many years of such collaboration, each trading post originated a unique style of rug that has since been named (after the trading post); some of these styles are still created to this day (e.g., Storm Pattern, Broken Water, Tec Nos Pas, and others) although the art is fading quickly.

The name of the hamlets in Java (or initials standing for it) is often engraved on the blade. The hamlets are:
  • Tjicatjing (Cikating)
  • Tjikeroeh (Cikeruh)
  • Tjipatjing (Cipacing)
  • Tjisoerat
  • Tjibatoe (Cnibatu)

I have collected sample photos from all the threads I could find (plus some from other sources). My plan is to repost those photos here. If you are the copyright holder of any images of swords from these hamlets that have posted in these forums, and object to my intended collation, then please let me know and I will not include the photos.

To get us started, here are two of my swords. One is a heavy Tjicatjing Klewang married to a European-style stag horn grip with a clamshell langet on the front of the cross guard. it is beautiful and a delight. The second is a Tjipatjing Golok with a beautiful bone hilt and a European style S-shaped guard. Both blades are very well forged, light in the hand and sharp enough to shave your beard.

Best Regards,

Dave A
Attached Images

DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote