Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th July 2022, 07:55 PM   #1
mahratt

It is always nice to have an old item made in the 19th, and even more so in the 18th century.
But unfortunately, the knife from message #17 and the knife of the topcaster are very different from each other. It's hard to find something in common between them...
It will certainly be interesting to see the blade of the knife in question after it has been polished and etch it. Let's wait.
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2022, 08:05 PM   #2
ariel

Just to clarify: nobody makes a direct comparison between a dagger from messages ##17/19 with the one presented by francantolin for discussion. It is viewed and discussed on its own.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2022, 10:40 AM   #3
francantolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt View Post
It is always nice to have an old item made in the 19th, and even more so in the 18th century.
But unfortunately, the knife from message #17 and the knife of the topcaster are very different from each other. It's hard to find something in common between them...
It will certainly be interesting to see the blade of the knife in question after it has been polished and etch it. Let's wait.
Hello, sure it's not the same and I didn't said it was caucasian made but here the similarities:

-afghan old blade with ricasso and a not often seen renforced tip on a "european look like battle knife"
-a new hilt made of two parts of brown horn
-a not origina bolster
-scabbard shape with final round tip
( sure, this one is all silver )

You just have to change the shape of the blade...

I'll do an etching but I need nital for reveal what seems to be cristalline wootz
francantolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2022, 10:53 AM   #4
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by francantolin View Post
Hello, sure it's not the same and I didn't said it was caucasian made but here the similarities:

-afghan old blade with ricasso and a not often seen renforced tip on a "european look like battle knife"
-a new hilt made of two parts of brown horn
-a not origina bolster
-scabbard shape with final round tip
( sure, this one is all silver )

You just have to change the shape of the blade...

I'll do an etching but I need nital for reveal what seems to be cristalline wootz
Thanks for the detailed answer, francantolin.

You see this knife from message #17 is a very strange item. Yes, of course, I think it is made in Afghanistan. But it is absolutely not traditional in form. I am sure that it was made, like your knife, under European influence and somewhere at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. However, unlike your knife, the knife in message #17 retains some traditional features.

The shape of the handle of your knife is not at all similar to the shape of the handle of the knife from message # 17. There is a ricasso on both knives, but you must admit that the ricasso is very different. On the knife from message No. 17, the ricasso is decorated in the traditional style. On your knife, the ricasso is undecorated and more crudely done.
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2022, 09:11 PM   #5
ariel

Francantolin,

Right now anything we say will be pure speculation.
There is a rule:” If it wasn’t written, it never happened”. Fortunately, there is some written information on the blade that can add a lot to our final verdict.

But in any case, I am glad that our positions are getting closer and closer.

For example, ” This is a tourist item” (post #3) was changed to “ I am sure that this item was not made for tourists” ( #11)

Similarly, the proposed dating “ from its appearance, I tend to think it's late 20th century” (#9) was changed to “ your dagger is made in the middle of the 20th century” (#11) and recently to “… like your knife…somewhere at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries” (#27). In short, there is hope for a mutually agreed upon dating.

It is an unusual blade, we do not have a statistically large enough sample with verified datings to place your example in a reasonably accurate group. This is why personal gut feelings may be very misleading.

I am waiting for the translations from my colleagues and hopefully from Kwiatek. They are likely to add a lot. I do not know what they are going to tell us , but I do not think such a simple dagger is going to bear the name of Assadulla: there was no sense to provide a spurious date to jack up its price: it was probably comparable to McDonalds “Happy Meal” :-)
I have no dog in this fight, I am just modestly curious.
I shall go with anything the translation tells us.

Last edited by ariel; 15th July 2022 at 01:21 AM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote