Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st January 2005, 09:21 AM   #1
Jimmer

Thumbs up I'm Back.

Hi Guys,

I'm back from the RP. Eventhough I've stopped collecting, I couldn't pass this up. Thought I'd share.

I'm not sure if that's ivory or whale bone. I know there's a way to tell but I can't remember how.

Jim

PS. I'm almost regretting not actively looking for swords while I was there. That may change when I look at my bank account but I guess there's still a collector in here somewhere afterall. It's hard to keep the monster at bay.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 01:10 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Nice kris

Hi Jimmer:

You will NEVER be cured of the sword collecting urge!

The kris you show comes from one of the Lumad groups in Mindanao, most likely the Bagobo judging from the bulbous bone/ivory pommel and the cloth binding the scabbard. Kris with a bulbous pommel can be seen in photographs of Bagobo dating to the early 20th C.

I showed pictures of similar kris a couple of years ago, and the pictures are here on the old Forum: http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001969.html

These and similar Lumad kris, especially those of the Kaolo (aka Tagakaolo, Kaulo, Kaolu), are finding their way to Manila via Davao City. Some have decent old blades that are probably Moro in origin (Maguindanao, most likely, because they are the Moro living nearest the Lumad tribes who are bringing these swords to market). In many of these kris and their sabbards one can detect elements of Bagobo, T'boli and Kaolo styles. Sometimes its hard to know which group "adopted" and dressed up the kris in front of you.

The two examples below are probably Bagobo.

<center>

</center>

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 03:00 PM   #3
Spunjer

jimmer,
what's the date on the coin?
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 10:15 PM   #4
Jimmer

Default Kris

Thanks Ian,

I'd say the blade is definately Moro as the guard is quite detailed and matches the guard on another Kris that I own. Where can I find the pictures that you refer to? (I still have most of the important references, Kreiger, NG, POTP, Moro Swords, etc.. Before my trip I was planning to sell the books but I think I'm going to hold on to them....just in case. )

Ironically, I just sold off my pegan sword collection. This feels more Moro to me even if the scabbard has been dressed up and the handle changed. It doesn't have the pegan feel that the others had.

The coin reads 1917.

Thanks.

Jim.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote