Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th March 2008, 03:17 PM   #1
josh stout

Default Chinese Indonesian jian

This is a repeat post that I put on a forum for Chinese swords. I thought given the SEA predilections of many people here, it might be worth getting some comments on....

I have thought for quite a while that there must be nice Chinese antiques in Indonesia, but due the political climate there that made Chinese culture essentially illegal for many years Chinese swords from Indonesia are never seen on the market.

Here is the first example I have seen. It is a typical duan jian, with an unusual replacement handle that shows it was used after the replacement. Also the blade has been cleaned in the traditional Indonesian way many times. Unfortunately this damaged the blade, but it is fascinating to see a Chinese blade looking like an old keris. There is a chance that the blade was a refit made in Indonesia, but I don't think so.

Take a look before the pictures disappear and this rare bit of history is out of the public view.
Josh

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=011
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 05:11 PM   #2
brekele

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh stout

I have thought for quite a while that there must be nice Chinese antiques in Indonesia, but due the political climate there that made Chinese culture essentially illegal for many years Chinese swords from Indonesia are never seen on the market.

Hi Josh, here some pics about Old Chinese sword that found in my home town , SURABAYA CITY (Indonesia). The sword was hangin' on the wall for 5 years.
I have no idea that this Chinese Sword is a nice one or bad one that found in Indonesia, but I knew that this sword is old one.

hhmm...I don't even know what kind of sword is this, and how people called it
Attached Images

Last edited by brekele; 7th March 2008 at 08:31 PM.
brekele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 07:09 PM   #3
katana

Hi Josh,
put these up ...so (in future) others can see the sword in question, not brilliant copies I'm afraid.

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 06:30 PM   #4
josh stout

Thanks for putting up the pictures.

Regarding the jian (chien, gim) shown, it is a late 20th c. Longquan jian for practice and of no particular value. The kungfu I practice has its main training center in Bogor, and such swords are common. In the old days they say the school had some true antiques, but I have never seen them.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Hmmm

Some one thought highly of the late 20th century piece you commented on, it just sold for $400USD.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote