Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th January 2008, 05:37 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Another dharb has come to live with me.

yet another dha/dharb has decided it wants to live with me.
picked this up from ebay, it's a cozun dharb, supposedly the first one he had made with the double pinned full tang, so this is apparently one of the earlier ones. should be arriving in a few days when i will be more able to describe it...
mr. cozun doesn't post too often here but he may remember it if it was the 1st one.

hardened edge, engraved decorations and blessings in thai on the blade sides.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

That is a nice one bet you can't wait to do a few cutting tests with it

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 06:43 PM   #3
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
That is a nice one bet you can't wait to do a few cutting tests with it

Lew

there is a melon reserved at tesco for it
Old 19th January 2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

ATTACK OF THE KILLER MELONS!?!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:54 PM   #5
kronckew

it arrived today, fit & finish are quite good. embossing of the blade is sharp, deep, and well done on both sides. blade is 5mm thick, 31mm. wide at the guard, 47 cm. long. 38mm. wide at the start of the 'yelmanesque' shaped tip, and 35mm. until the rise of the point area. blade is distal tapered and not sharpened the first 10cm. from the guard. the spine is ground into a truncated inverted V shape. the guard is 2mm.+ thick steel, formed in one piece with the 4.5cm. long bolster. the grip is turned wood 17cm. to the 5.75 cm. long pommel. the pommel end is roughly 2.5cm. in dia. and the guard end 3.5 cm. in dia. there is a 5mm. steel pin thru the tang at 7 cm and again at 15 cm. from the guard. the pommel appears to have been threaded onto the end of the tang. the balance point is about 2.5 cm. in front of the guard. the scabbard fits perfectly, the throat has a 2cm. wide x2mm. thick steel band standing proud of the wood about 7mm. and forming a socket that the guard fits into neatly without any noticeable gap. slight push with the thumb unseats the blade for a smooth draw. braided fibre bands close the other end of the scabbard. all in all a nice piece. not as long as some of my dhas but probably more suited to home defence and it's well balanced, razor sharp and built like the proverbial brick outhouse....next stop tesco for that melon.

port

starboard
Old 18th February 2008, 06:05 PM   #6
cozun

Default It's in the archives

Although I omitted to photographically records a few sword the 2-3 last months, this one is in my archives (1st week April 2006). And yes it is one, if not the first of its fabrication kind, meant is the riveting on the handle (with help of a full tang) and the engraving of the maker's mark - and about the maker's mark, here it is engraved horizontally, only a half-dozen were made this way between April 2006 until today, all the following logo engravings are found vertically. So you have a rarity in your possession, congratulation.
Although I play with the idea to re-introduce horizontal engraved mark, this unique model will remain exceptional, keep in mind that with all the engraving and more options offered, each sword receives it's own character and individuality, it's own identity, and this one is definitely one of a kind for that fabrication year!

It looks like the blade was somewhat polished to bring out the steel color, did you receive it like this? Just asking because the original pictures I have show a darker shaded blade the way they are usually fabricated and shipped.
For a more lighter polish it should be requested when purchased - ok it's an option I don't mention or offer on the website, so I guess I'll write a word or two about it in the next upgrade.

Cheers and thanks for the comments,
Serge from cozun.com
cozun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 06:56 PM   #7
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozun
It looks like the blade was somewhat polished to bring out the steel color, did you receive it like this? Just asking because the original pictures I have show a darker shaded blade the way they are usually fabricated and shipped.
hi serge, thanks for the additional provenance, makes the sword even more special. the sword appears to have been polished by the last owner, but he's done a good job and hasn't rounded any edges, must have done it by hand. there is evidence in the embossing of a darker background, so that it appears he was careful not to polish in their vicinity to prevent blurring them.

-wayne