Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th February 2005, 04:14 PM   #1
BluErf

Default Rangsang Rias Pusaka Bangsa II -- Keris Competition Winners

Sorry for the rather haphazard photo-taking. The lighting was not exactly great and I had to work against glare on the glass casing. And of course, I must admit I was rather over-excited taking the pictures.

10 Categories, 1st to 3rd prize winners are displayed. Bali category has an additional keris belonging to Mr Cesar (sorry if I spelt your name wrongly) from Canada. The keris had an most unusual naga blade, but it could not arrive on time to take part in the competition, so the organizers decided to display it together with the other 3 winning pieces since it is a very worthy piece too.
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 04:16 PM   #2
BluErf

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2005, 04:18 PM   #3
BluErf

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2005, 04:19 PM   #4
BluErf

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2005, 04:21 PM   #5
BluErf

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2005, 04:23 PM   #6
BluErf

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2005, 04:25 PM   #7
BluErf

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2005, 04:26 PM   #8
BluErf

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2005, 04:28 PM   #9
BluErf

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2005, 04:29 PM   #10
BluErf

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2005, 04:31 PM   #11
BluErf

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2005, 04:41 PM   #12
tom hyle

Thank you, and I'm sure others will have deeper commentary, but just let me say "what's up, penis shaped handle?" Is it? Or is it a stylized figure, as more usual? Did they have those "German helmets" in Indonesia? In India, public very openly designated penis (lingam?) sculptures are common, and usually religious.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 04:44 PM   #13
tom hyle

Check the laddered pamor, BTW
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 05:50 PM   #14
John

Thumbs up

Ah, the pictures I've been waiting to see. I could at once recognise about 10 of the items as well as to whom they belong except for a panjang (sheath with white/black stripes) which I once saw at a site for sale. Congratulations to the worthy winners especially our forumites.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 06:36 PM   #15
nechesh

Wow Kai Wee, it must be an amazing experience to be in the presence of all these exquisite keris from all across the spectrum of styles and locations. Thanks for the pics. Even with their quality drawbacks they are well worth viewing. It would be almost senseless to make inividual coments since all those on display are wonderful in their own ways. I must say, the idea of competing keris does seem a strange one to me. Much the way i look at art and beauty contests, much is in the eye of the beholder. And seeing the keris as a sacred and personal object it seems strange to parade and judge them. But without such a contest we would, of course, be denied seeing all these beautiful keris. Thanks for your efforts.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 08:49 PM   #16
moose

Arrow

I didn't realize that sudang were eligible for a cleaning or judging in the contest. I would like to know more about this.

thank you,

moose
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 02:07 AM   #17
BluErf

Smile

Hi Tom -- I don't know much about that 'well-endowed' specimen of a keris. This has been the only instance of such a form I've ever seen. Judging from the quality of the carving, it was done by an accomplished carver. Imagine wearing it from the belt with the hilt protruding forward...

Hi John -- Where are your pieces man! I remember some really good ones that went your way, like the super-thick Bugis chieftain piece with rhino horn handle, the luk 5 Bugis piece with very well-carved rose-motif on the ivory handle. I think you also have a luk 13 Bugis piece. Next year, ok!

Hi Nechesh -- Well, its the same thing with beauty pageant I guess, but they always manage to come up with a Miss Universe every year (although I'm kinda sad that no Chinese or Malay has ever been crowned Miss Universe... ).

This keris competition is to encourage people to share their pieces, and to promote awareness in keris art. We do have some problems convincing collectors to put forth their best pieces because everyone (including myself to a certain extent) is paranoid about our 'babies' getting damaged, stolen (touch wood!!!!!!), et cetera. In other words, all the bad things parents worry about over their children. But hey, the competition has come and gone and everything's fine.

We know there are many fine pieces out there owned by Singapore collectors, but weren't entered into the competition. We hope to see them for subsequent years' competition. And of course we hope even overseas collectors would come forward and showcase their pieces. These pieces are handled with care by only a few people who are collectors themselves, and are being exhibited in a museum setting (The Malay Heritage Centre is technically a museum); how often does one's pieces get displayed in a museum (even if its just for a few days for non-winners, and 1 mth for winners).

Hi Moose -- Sundangs are considered kerises. And yes, we love to see more of them come in. If you are interested, just contact Adni for next year's competition (should be around January or February).
Old 20th February 2005, 02:39 AM   #18
rahman

Fantastic collection! I wanted to go for the event but went down with the flu throughout Chinese New Year

This really set the benchmark for keris collectors, doesn't it?

Blu - were you one of the judges? Who else?

I think this is a great start for Singapore collectors. Hopefully we can see more next year.
rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 02:56 AM   #19
BluErf

Don't worry Rahman, the kerises will be at the Istana Kampong Glam for 1 month until middle of next month, I think.

The panel of judges included Paul, Dave, Adni, Zainal, Shahizan, Hisham, Shahuddin, Isnin, and myself. For fairness, if the judges have submitted pieces for the competition, he does not give marks to those pieces of his. The average score would be taken from the marks given by other judges.

For a start, its not too bad. We would like to see more people take part next year.
Old 20th February 2005, 02:02 PM   #20
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
Hi John -- Where are your pieces man! I remember some really good ones that went your way, like the super-thick Bugis chieftain piece with rhino horn handle, the luk 5 Bugis piece with very well-carved rose-motif on the ivory handle. I think you also have a luk 13 Bugis piece. Next year, ok!
Somehow in some ways I owe it to you guys for always providing "benchmarks" in the spirit of sharing of what you have and know that I've been able to acquire a handful items that I really treasure but I know they won't stand a chance with those superior items you guys have although I wouldn't mind joining the fray if I were in Singapore . Would certainly enjoy the ramai2 and also have much to belajar from you guys.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 04:06 PM   #21
BluErf

Hi John,

I think the Bugis piece with the ivory rose-motif carving stands a very high chance for the amazingly fine carving, the sheath is of a rare form, and the blade has a thick diamond profile with an unusual and beautiful luk 5 form.
Old 20th February 2005, 04:47 PM   #22
Alam Shah

Default Acehese rencong...

Another excellent piece displayed...drool...
Attached Images

Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 03:08 AM   #23
Raja Muda

Default Impressed

All I can say in my faux Singaporean Malay 'gerek seh!'
If I had known that the Keris are at Kampung Gelam, I would have skipped my short hop to Takashimaya.
Raja Muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 03:39 AM   #24
rahman

I saw Adni, Paul, Kai Wee and Dave Henkel on TV news last night. It's great to put a face to a name.

Mr Henkel -- may I say your Malay is flawless. Did I detect a slight Kelantanese accent?
rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 01:01 PM   #25
DAHenkel

A-do belajo kecek Kelate seki'-seki', tapi asalnya budak Kg. Loyang Besar.

I must have been a Kelantanese in a former life though cuz I took to Kelantan and the Kelantanese dialect like a fish to water.
DAHenkel is offline   Reply With Quote