Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2018, 04:52 AM   #1
Green

A happy update.

I have finally received the lost items!
Early this month the USPS managed to trace the whereabout of the items and resent back to the sender. It was unclear what went wrong but apparently the main reason I gathered from the communication was due to the custom declaration form was lost and the package was not shipped but sent to 'Dead mail center'.

To make sure it was not lost in the mail again I requested the auction house to resend to me using fedex (which I had to pay additional shipment fees) and it duly arrived last week.

To be fair I've not lost any shipment from USPS before and not sure whose fault it was in this case.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 03:00 PM   #2
drac2k

Great news and congratulations; after a long lapse of time, the results are usually negative.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 05:52 PM   #3
mariusgmioc

I am very happy to hear that you got your kerises!

Unfortunately, it seems there are more incidents like this (not necessarily with happy end) lately. I had two similar incidents (both with PostNL - Dutch post) during last few months.

The quality of services is free falling.

Last edited by mariusgmioc; 18th February 2018 at 06:23 PM.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 04:43 AM   #4
shayde78

Happy to hear your situation had been resolved
As a tip for others, I have found that filing a claim with USPS often triggers a sudden delivery of 'stalled' items. In my opinion, always is a good idea to file a claim.
I'm glad your kerises ultimately found their way home and have earned even greater appreciation due to their journey.
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:35 PM   #5
GIO

I have come to know of this post after so long tima has elapsed.
Once I bought a nice Madura keris hilt and received an empty envelope with a tear, indicating that the contents was stolen somewhere (I suspect after its arrival in Italy and after customs operations). I filed a claim both with the Italian customs and with the seller. I heard nothing from Italy, but to my great surprise I got an almost complete reimboursement from Indonesia. Unfortunately I don't remember further details as to the insurance or about who made the reimboursement (Indonesian Customs or Seller).
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 08:41 PM   #6
gp

Being a SME on physical distribution and customs, I can advise all shipping companies, regardless if you use the local / country's postal services like USPS, DP, post NL , B Post or carriers like FEDEX, UPS, DHL, Chronopost, DPD or whatever to:

- have it insured for 150% of the value or whatever higher level is indicated
- make a foto if you send or ask for a picture of the goods / package upon shipping to you
- do the same upon arrival
- sign with reservation
- claim within < 2 weeks, being the legal period
(attention: some carriers and or countries use a legal deadline of < 1 week to raise a claim
- preferably pay by a credit card as this also gives you some protection

it doesn't make a difference if you use f.i the Dutch Post or DHL: as long as you stick to the above rules.
I had a case were a package worth 2 K got lost by the postal services and as I could proof my case by complying with the above ABC, they paid after investigation.
On professional level I had a case were some boxes were stolen from a pallet to China and due to a mismatch between paper and physical qty I found my employer between a rock and a hard place.
Just because I had pictures of the outgoing shipment and could proof that upon arrival some tape to the plastic wrapping was added, my case was accepted by the quite strick authorities, goods cleared and an adjustment accepted, so a claim for the missing qty.

Just make sure you have it insured and proof available, regardless what you think or perception is. the latter doesn't count...
Take care and be smart !

Last edited by gp; 6th August 2022 at 05:58 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote