Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th October 2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Iliad

Default Chinese River Pirate Sword?

Hi all,
This is a recent purchase, of what the seller thought (but not really sure) is a short sword used by Chinese river pirates in the 1800's. I shall be grateful for any information which the experts can provide.
Best,
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default a link

Hi Brian,

A solid old Dao.

You might find these links helpful in gathering useful information on the subject including the guardless types;

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9409
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=hudiedao

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 12:39 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Brian,
This appears to be an example of the hudiedao paired swords indeed often used in China by martial artists, and sometimes associated with 'river pirates'. I think Gav would have much more information on these, but from my notes and what I have learned from him, these were from around the period noted, mostly 19th c.
A good reference I found was "Chinese Martial Arts Training" by Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Gao, 2005, which may be online as I know I dont have the book.
These martial artists were actually more security agencies practicing various forms of martial arts including wing chun as I understand.These martial artists would act as bodyguards or protection and hu yuan were the bodyguard and residential protection contingent, while zoubiao were those who guarded convoys and materials. Often the signature pennon or flag of these agents was flown, much in the manner of security warning signs in todays world, to ward off predators.

This seems quite likely to be a 'bringback' souvenier from perhaps the Taipei Rebellion in the 1860s or the Boxer Rebellion 1900.
Personally I think these are fascinating weapons with genuine formidable use by these martial artists in these settings, and in certain cases, many of these individuals did turn to the piracy circumstance.

Nice going!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Gav,
We crossed posts! Hoped you'd come in on this
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 01:54 AM   #5
KuKulzA28

I believe in addition to all the good points presented by the above guys, that these blades were sometimes paired with rattan shields and called pai dao aka "shield knife"... other times instead of long knives it was pian dao, hatchet, etc.

KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
I believe in addition to all the good points presented by the above guys, that these blades were sometimes paired with rattan shields and called pai dao aka "shield knife"... other times instead of long knives it was pian dao, hatchet, etc.

Indeed, the pairing has been seen in old line drawings and is practiced in some martial circles.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote