Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd June 2012, 02:34 AM   #31
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaki
Greetings Joe,

Your collection of Igorot cultural items is very impressive. I was wondering if you would be able to identify one of my pieces. From what I understand and was told, it is a blanket from Kiangan. It is made by the Ikat dye technique. It has several designs on it [H] /\ \/ and a house on stilts. Could you share any impressions or information you may know? I would greatly appreciate it!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

Would you please upload the pictures to the site ?
Not all of us wish to belong to 'facebook' .

Thanks
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 12:56 AM   #32
apolaki

what is a reasonable price for a ginuttu belt? i wish i could have one!!!
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 04:42 AM   #33
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I PASSED THRU ST. LOUIS TODAY AND STOPPED BY THE MISSOURI HISTORY MUSEUM AND TOOK A LOOK AT THE SHIELD. THE ONE THERE HAS A VERY SIMULAR PATTERN COVERING THE ENTIRE SHIELD BUT IS CARVED INTO THE WOOD IN VERY DEEP RELIEF TYPE CARVING. DEFINITELY DONE BY A MASTER BAGOBO CARVER TO SHOW HIS SKILL FOR THE WORLDS FAIR. MAKEING A PATTERN AND CUTTING THE METAL WOULD BE A MUCH EASIER WAY TO PUT THOSE DESIGNS ON A SHIELD THAN CARVING EACH SHIELD BY HAND.
I STILL THINK I HAVE SEEN A SHIELD WITH THE METAL CUTOUT DESIGN LIKE YOURS BUT CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE. THE SHIELD IN ST LOUIS RESEMBLES YOURS IN DESIGN AND PATTERN BUT THERE IS NO METAL ONLY WOOD AND HAIR TUFTS ON THE SIDES. I THINK A PATERN COULD BE MADE OF THE WOOD SHIELD AND MANY METAL PIECES ATTACHED TO WOOD SHIELD FORMS FOR SALE SO THERE MAY STILL BE SOME CONNECTION EITHER TO THE WORLDS FAIR OR TO THE BAGOBO MAN WHO CARVED THE SHIELD IN THE MUSEUM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 05:06 AM   #34
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaki
Greetings Joe,

Your collection of Igorot cultural items is very impressive. I was wondering if you would be able to identify one of my pieces. From what I understand and was told, it is a blanket from Kiangan. It is made by the Ikat dye technique. It has several designs on it [H] /\ \/ and a house on stilts. Could you share any impressions or information you may know? I would greatly appreciate it!

Here are Apolaki's pictures.
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 09:01 AM   #35
T. Koch

Wow, Joe, Wouter and Detlef, those are some amazingly impressive displays! I love the atmosphere and the overall visual impression one gets of them. I think the idea with period photos in between the pieces is really neat too!

One question though, if you do live with wives or girlfriends: How do you get them to go along with something like that - do they collect too or do you guys have rooms of your own to go ethno-crazy in?

Cheers, - Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 12:12 PM   #36
Indianajones

girlfriend?! The key is to have her see your collectionroom as her 'walk-in-closet' .
Mine is often wearing a grass skirt when vaccuuming n cuts the steak with an antique Ifugaosword . . . Picture that . .hmmm!
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 05:52 PM   #37
Sajen

Hi Thor,

my wife is from Indonesia and since my largest part of my collection is from Indonesia she feel like at home!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 08:32 PM   #38
Clubs & Arrows

Hi Thor,
My wife is pretty tolerant of my collecting as she likes most of the Oceanic pieces and some of the edged weapons. The entryway and one room hold most of the collection, but over time a few pieces have crept into other rooms and are now starting to accumulate in greater numbers here and there.

Best regards,
Joe
Clubs & Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 12:19 AM   #39
Robert
EAAF Staff

I've got to say that I believe my lovely wife has got to be one of the best about my collecting. She likes to make fun of it at times but she has also bought for me most of the traditional Philippine weapons in my collection.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote