Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th December 2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Valjhun

Default INTERESTING Ottoman (?) sword.... very old... comments?

Dear Memebers,

What do you think about that sword? Any ideas of its origin, period and so on.... (things as usualy, i'm in a hurry right now
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 01:53 PM   #2
katana

Hi Valjhun,
found this

http://www.trocadero.com/faganarms/i...tore.html#item

Looks to be similar....hope it helps
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 08:37 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Valjhun,
This is a breathtaking piece!! which appears to be an Italian form, prior to the fully developed guards and probably dates end of the 15th c. according to typological examples found. In "Rapier and Smallsword 1460-1820" (A.V.B.Norman, London, 1980) a similar hilt is shown as Italian c.1475-1525 (shown on p.82 as hilt form #18). Norman notes an example of this hilt is held in the Doges palace in Venice (catalog G690).
In "Armi Bianche Italiene" (Boccia & Coelho, 1975, pl.145-47) these hilts are shown as Venetian c.1475-80.
It should be noted that these assymetrical form hilts were the basis in general for the later basket hilts known as schiavona, and the pommel form also is key to those seen on the schiavona. The schiavona was of course the distinct sword used by the Dalmatian guards who acted as guards as the Doge's palace in Venice.
The interesting marks with star and crescent may be Italian markings. In Boccia & Coelho (op.cit) p.358 there are blade markings which include the crescent moon, although they appear with either one or two crosses of the cross and orb form. I have not yet found one with the star, but would not be surprised for this to be included in such markings. The markings described are both noted as from Venice c.1500-1510.
I know I have seen a similar sword to this, especially by the distinctly shaped escutcheon on the crossguard, but as yet have not found it.

Now....please tell us where you have found this sword!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Valjhun

Thanks Jim,

I also thought of a pre-schiavona type of venetian sword when saw the immages. Especially the pommel talks in that favour, beeing a predecessor of the typical Schiavona cat head pommel.

The sword is not in my possesion (yet). I'll do my best to get that medieval piece in my collection. Then I'll attach more photos.

It was found underground with a metal detector in the italian region of Northern Friuli (not so far away from Venice).
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thats excellent Valjhun!!
Outstanding provenance, exactly what is needed in studying history and development of weapons. Thank you very much for sharing this, and please keep us posted OK.
All the best,
Jim
Old 9th December 2006, 06:50 PM   #6
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valjhun
Thanks Jim,

I also thought of a pre-schiavona type of venetian sword when saw the immages. Especially the pommel talks in that favour, beeing a predecessor of the typical Schiavona cat head pommel.

The sword is not in my possesion (yet). I'll do my best to get that medieval piece in my collection. Then I'll attach more photos.

It was found underground with a metal detector in the italian region of Northern Friuli (not so far away from Venice).
When this sword is repatriated to Slovenia send us better pics. Great find!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 04:22 AM   #7
Andrew

Crescent and star at the forte? What's that about, I wonder?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 08:11 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Andrew,
I think thats where the initial heading for this thread came from, with the obvious association of the familiar Ottoman symbols. I think this marking is likely from the Italian maker, at least as noted in Boccia & Coelho (op.cit.) it is shown that the crescent did appear on Italian blades, in this case from Venice. Still looking for one that incorporates the star. The complexities of all these markings probably derive from workmans guilds, but later became associated with talismanic symbolism in varying degree.
All the best,
Jim
Old 11th December 2006, 05:09 PM   #9
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Andrew,
I think thats where the initial heading for this thread came from, with the obvious association of the familiar Ottoman symbols. I think this marking is likely from the Italian maker, at least as noted in Boccia & Coelho (op.cit.) it is shown that the crescent did appear on Italian blades, in this case from Venice. Still looking for one that incorporates the star. The complexities of all these markings probably derive from workmans guilds, but later became associated with talismanic symbolism in varying degree.
All the best,
Jim
Doh! That's what I get for posting without looking.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Sorry I sounded so blunt in my response Andrew, not intended.
Its not like you aren't in circuit breaker overload trying to keep up with all the activity here, so quite understandable
All the best my friend,
Jim
Old 8th July 2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Valjuhn,

I found your thread only today.

As Jim has sad, this is a Venetian sword, which is confirmed by your statement that it was excavated near Friuli. It is of Venetian make and dates from the late 15th c., ca. 1480-90.

You will identify your type of sword among a group of four displayed on the right in a photo from the Doges Palace at Venice; they are dealt with in Armi Bianche, 1975 (attachments).

Medieval Venetian swords of slightly differing, more common type are referred to in
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...114#post142114

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 04:25 PM   #12
ariel

Now I understand the origins of Nimcha much better :-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 04:27 PM   #13
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Valjhun,
This is a breathtaking piece!! which appears to be an Italian form, prior to the fully developed guards and probably dates end of the 15th c. according to typological examples found. In "Rapier and Smallsword 1460-1820" (A.V.B.Norman, London, 1980) a similar hilt is shown as Italian c.1475-1525 (shown on p.82 as hilt form #18). Norman notes an example of this hilt is held in the Doges palace in Venice (catalog G690).
In "Armi Bianche Italiene" (Boccia & Coelho, 1975, pl.145-47) these hilts are shown as Venetian c.1475-80.
It should be noted that these assymetrical form hilts were the basis in general for the later basket hilts known as schiavona, and the pommel form also is key to those seen on the schiavona. The schiavona was of course the distinct sword used by the Dalmatian guards who acted as guards as the Doge's palace in Venice.
The interesting marks with star and crescent may be Italian markings. In Boccia & Coelho (op.cit) p.358 there are blade markings which include the crescent moon, although they appear with either one or two crosses of the cross and orb form. I have not yet found one with the star, but would not be surprised for this to be included in such markings. The markings described are both noted as from Venice c.1500-1510.
I know I have seen a similar sword to this, especially by the distinctly shaped escutcheon on the crossguard, but as yet have not found it.

Now....please tell us where you have found this sword!!!

All the best,
Jim

Salaams Jim and Valjhun et al~ I was just flicking through the amazing thread on the european by Matchlock on Schiavona since I am convinced that this weapon rehilted appears on Ethiopian and other Red Sea derivatives in its two edged form. (and that this may be the blade we see in certain museums rehilted on long hilts and others in that region) Then right out of the blue comes this thread with an absolute show stopper !! An Italian Job !! and thanks to Matchlock he is onto this one with such well informed backup and photos. I feel certain that this sword is the key to the door for much that went on in that region.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 02:09 AM   #14
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

VERY GOOD INFORMATION A COMBINATION OF A FEW OF THESE THREADS IN THE ETH. AND EURO. FORUMS RELATED TO SCHIAVONA WOULD MAKE A GOOD REFERENCE. RELATED TO SCHIAVONA
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 08:12 AM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
VERY GOOD INFORMATION A COMBINATION OF A FEW OF THESE THREADS IN THE ETH. AND EURO. FORUMS RELATED TO SCHIAVONA WOULD MAKE A GOOD REFERENCE. RELATED TO SCHIAVONA
Salaams VANDOO ~
Please see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10455 and at #320 where I am observing what I believe are Schiavona styles that have slipped down the Red Sea and have been rehilted. Perhaps you can add weight to the discussion please. It appears that so far the styles are the two edged version and which I believe have been confused with Omani dancing swords.
Omani dancing sword are round tipped and very flexible to 90 degree bend between about the point to last third of blade. It seems to me that these Schiavona types are thicker, with pointed blades, hilted in Arabia, Yemen and Ethiopia are the Schiavona two edge type.
I have seen the discussion on Schiavonas on the European and follow its development closely.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote