Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 29th December 2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Armatolos
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens
Posts: 14
Question Long Arnaut Rasak gun

Hello everybody and Seasons Greetings,
A friend of mine sent me these photos of a long brass covered miquelet Rasak gun, now what's unusual with it, is that it has a firing mechanism taken from a Ottoman gun known as a Shishane, on both sides of it's beautiful decorated barrel there seem to be inscribed some numbers in arabic on one side of it and some letters on the other side.
Can anyone decypher what they mean?
Attached Images
    
Armatolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 3,751
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armatolos
Hello everybody and Seasons Greetings,
A friend of mine sent me these photos of a long brass covered miquelet Rasak gun, now what's unusual with it, is that it has a firing mechanism taken from a Ottoman gun known as a Shishane, on both sides of it's beautiful decorated barrel there seem to be inscribed some numbers in arabic on one side of it and some letters on the other side.
Can anyone decypher what they mean?



Salaams Armatolos,
I thought to place some artwork to support your thread;
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi : 31st December 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Armatolos
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Armatolos,
I thought to place some artwork to support your thread;
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.


Thank you for the input, any idea on the arabic inscriptions on the Rasak?
Armatolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 3,751
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armatolos
Thank you for the input, any idea on the arabic inscriptions on the Rasak?


Salaams Not really "God" is listening ...or something like that...... I'm much more interested in knowing where and who Arnaut Rasak was... provenance of weapon etc. There appears to be a date in Arabic on the other side of the weapon? Can we see that?
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi : 30th December 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 3,751
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

Salaams all... Meanwhile more atmosphere courtesy http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002363.html

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Armatolos
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens
Posts: 14
Default Arnaut Rasak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Not really "God" is listening ...or something like that...... I'm much more interested in knowing where and who Arnaut Rasak was... provenance of weapon etc. There appears to be a date in Arabic on the other side of the weapon? Can we see that?
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.


"Arnaut Rasak" is not a person, Rasak is a type of a long flintlock gun of Balkan origin similar to the Greek Kariophili and the Allbanian Tancica and the same applies for the term Arnaut:

Arnauts ( ﺍﺭﻧﺎﻭﺩ); old term used mainly from
Turks and by extension by European authors
during the Ottoman Empire. A derivate of the
Turkish Arvanid (Arnavut) ( ﺍﺭﻭﺍﻧﻴﺪ ), which
derives from the Greek Arvanites .
Attached Images
  

Last edited by Armatolos : 30th December 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Armatolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 3,751
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

Salaams Apologies for mixing up Balkan and Moroccan ... I shall put that right !
There is the date !
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Attached Images
    

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi : 30th December 2013 at 06:16 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 3,751
Send a message via MSN to Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Default

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.