Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2010, 05:11 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Marks in European sword

I know this is no reasonable way to ID a sword, but i have promised to ask for you guys help
It is about a (cavalry?) sabre, with a (three?) bar hilt guard. It has the initials WI across the blade base, some 5cms (2") from the hilt and, more towards the blade, a sun with rays and a human face.
Any ideas?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Fernando,
You are a man of honor, and carry out your promises, well noting of course that any identification of this sword without any visual help is pure folly. The three bar hilt on military sabres from late 18th into the 19th century would apply to any number of swords from the entirety of western armies.

Since Solingen was supplying blades for the majority, we might presume it is a Solingen blade, the mark WI at the ricasso, depending on configuration may well be an acronym or initials for the unit, or organization for whom the sword was in use. The sun with face and rays is of course from the talismanic astral symbols placed on European blades most commonly in the 18th century, but in degree into the 19th.

Thats about all the ideas I could venture without any illustrations that might lend to the possibilities of origin, otherwise its simply a military sabre of about a hundred year or more period from any one of dozens of countries.

Sorry I cant offer more,

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 09:21 PM   #3
fernando

Hi Jim,
... and you are a kind man, needless to say .
I am much obliged for your willing contribution to such a lost case.
You are absolutely right in that there were millions of sabres with the "human" sun symbol and zillions with the three bar hilt.
To tell the truth, i knew this was a long shot; hoping that, by some kind of miracle, someone had a sword with the same initials or recalled having seen them out there.
Soon i will visit the owner and check the initials style. Probably they are the signature type and not a maker's mark.
Eventualy also a couple pictures to post here.
Thanks again
Fernando
Old 25th October 2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Ian Knight

Hello Fernando/Jim,
The only 'WI' that I can find at the moment is 'William Ironside' of England 1708-1709.
I will keep looking.
Ian
Ian Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 06:04 PM   #5
fernando

That was very nice of you, Ian .
Thanks a lot for your input.
Old 26th October 2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ian, I wanted to thank you as well. It'll be interesting when we get more information or photos. The only WI that I am aware of is West India (docks) which typically had more cutlass type weapons with the cast iron grips, and most of these had a stirrup grip, though there was one form with another quillon I believe.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote