Thread: Istanbul Visit
View Single Post
Old 13th December 2004, 10:05 AM   #17
Radu Transylvanicus

Thumbs up

Thank you so much Eftihis , I owe you big time ... On the other side, I am a little disapointed by theTopkapi curators who are generally more efficient on doing a better job on description labels (at least this is not the disastruos Bangkok museum we saw the other week).
On Stefan`s sword, the label shoud at least say : Sword of Stefan the Great, ruler of Moldavia 15th century (Romania) big difference between being Roman and being Romanian, nevermind common the heritage ... and this anarchic display next to Japanese swords and armor and the grotesque gigantic swords in the background mixed with the kilij stand is just not OK to my eye ... Bucharest is not next to Okinawa on the map and the yoroi is no match for the statuary bastard swords of Herculean size and the Indo-Persian shield unless this was meant to show the exact oposition and absolute differences in styles and dimesions of arms and armour... I dare to say that any member of the Forum would've had more common sense in composing a more apropriate panoply or is it just overly picky me that feels this is unforgiveably chaotic and not OK for one of the world class most finest museums... ?
Still, Eftihis you made my day by taking this images, I was longing for images of this sword for quite a while now ... There certainly are some amazing moments and breaktroughs in this Forum at times and I hope I put a smile on your face when I posted the image of the Cretans with their bitchaqs ...
P.S. I would love to see more pics from Askeri and Topkapi museums, I hope its on your soon ,, to do list,, ...
All the best , yours truely,
Radu .

Last edited by Radu Transylvanicus; 13th December 2004 at 10:35 AM.