View Single Post
Old 1st February 2007, 01:12 AM   #10
Mark

Thumbs up

Thank you again for even more precious insight. I need to study these photos carefully, as I believe I have been mis-identifying some of my dahb.

I do see all the photos now. It must have been some small problem with my internet connection.

I came across an interesting piece of information while back about dha/dahb blades that "travel" far from where they were made, which may explain the northern style blade on a southern dahb. Sylvia Fraser-Lu, in Burmese Crafts, Past & Present (1994) (ISBN 0-19-588608-9) says:
Quote:
In the early twentieth century, Mong-Kung and Kehsi in the Southern Shan States produced blades which enjoyed a wide reputation throughout Burma. Many were exported to Thailand under the trade name of 'ham-ngai,' after the traders who bought the blades wholesale and fitted them with handles." P. 148
This refers to early 20th century blade trade, but I see no reason why it would not have been going on earlier. As you know, the "Shan" of Burma are in fact Tai, the "Shan States" of Burma being right next to Lanna. At many times they were in fact unified in whole or in part.

Another possible explanation could be found in the practice of deporting large groups of people, particularly skilled craftsmen, from conquered areas back to the conquerer's heart-land. In this case, the areas of Lanna and the adjacent Shan States changed hands several times between the Burmese and the Thai over the centuries, and it is not hard to believe that swordsmiths from Lanna (or the Shan States of Burma), were deported to the southern parts of the country.

How much of the ancient Thai swordmaking tradition (in the sense of history) is preserved? Are there still families of swordsmiths in these areas with a family history or tradition that would explain the movement and development of styles? I know such families still work in Aranyik - are there similar, living, swordmaking centers in for example Pisanulok or Lanna?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote