View Single Post
Old 20th June 2012, 02:08 PM   #5
christek

Hello Jim and fellow forum members/ and moderators.
Thank you for allowing this opportunity to discuss this sabre.

I sincerely apologise for posting the replica sabre and will refrain from doing so in the future. I only purchased it for the reasons stated and have since passed it on to my brother who, unlike me, does not ill-consider the pretentious. I have been attempting to learn as much as possible about these arms as I find this particular model (or range of models) quite fascinating. The scope of these sabres makes it difficult to isolate particular models as they appear to oscillate in design (I admit I need a better range of scholarly contexts). It would appear that French cuirassiers in the Napoleonic era were issued with the strait single edged XIII model 1810 (shown in photos). This sabre could, of course, be used as a cutting weapon but according to my sources its design, combined with the coordinated and disciplined charge of the cuirassiers made it first and foremost a thrusting weapon. The French M1822 was off similar design that incorporated a curved single edge. Could one presume a change of tactics or conditions that occurred between the patterns that facilitated the amendment? I wonder if the defeat of the cuirassiers at Waterloo (as they charged into the British square formations) fundamentally changed the thrusting attributes of these cavalry sabres?

It would seem that the designs of the US Light Cavalry sabre, pattern 1840 or "old wristbreaker" (if I have this correct) are definitely modelled after the French swords, as the similarities are undeniable. The sabre was heavy at 2 kilos (or 5 lb) and menacing. What is not so easy for me to attain, is a certain date when these were not standard issue for the cavalry, I’m quite sure that the troopers pursuing Crazy Horse in 1876 were ordered to carry only carbines and probably revolvers. Does this provide a potential timeframe when the sabre became realised as obsolete?

Thank you again for allowing me to follow up my fascination on a sabre I have not yet acquired. I hope to be the proud owner of one shortly and will certainly share it with my fellow forumites.

Is it considered the norm to discuss prices and values in private messages?
Attached Images

christek is offline   Reply With Quote