View Single Post
Old 14th May 2014, 04:53 PM   #25
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
The best Muslim canon is in Leeds

http://www.royalarmouries.org/galler...gle-object/196

It's my own taste, it's up to you to follow...
Well, when i said " One of the most formidable Muslim cannons that ever existed in India resides nowadays in Lisbon Military Museum" i was far from ensuring it is the best. Despite my personal appreciation for such specimen, i am far from being able to classify cannons but, the quotation on it stated by scholars is that it is one of admirable greatness since the XVI century and one of the largest basilisks in the world, with its 6,11 mts length, 19.499 Kilos weight and a caliber of 23,5 cms, throwing 43 kilos iron projectiles.
But what is important is its symbolic value, rather than its sophistication or dimension.

(I have already posted this cannon in a different approach. It is somwehere in the archives; can't spot it)

The iscription it contains saved it from being molten for the casting of a statue of King Dom José I around 1770 when, at the last moment, intelectual Friar José de S. Antonio Moura translated the said inscription which reads (Arabic writers may correct ):

From our Lord the Sultan of Sultans of time; verifier of the tradition of the Prophet of (God) Merciful; who combats for the exaltation of the precepts of the Koran; the demolisher of the arguments of the supporters of impiety; the one that removes the houses of worshipers of idols; the Victor in the day when the two armies encounter; heir to the kingdom of Solomon; trusted in the God the Benefactor; the possessor of the virtues – Bahadur-Shah Sultan; this piece was made in day 5 of the month Dhul Ka'da, year 939.

This cannon, built in 1533, was captured and brought to Portugal in 1538 and had practical use in Lisbon defences, before its ending in exhibition.
It is known as O Tiro de Diu (The shot of Diu), name given after its use in the siege of Diu in 1538.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote