Thread: English blades
View Single Post
Old 17th August 2021, 08:08 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I wanted to thank you guys for these great insights and information, and Fernando for the clarification on those terms.
I have little grasp of scientific and metallurgic terminology and process, but these descriptions are fascinating.
I have however long been deeply involved in studying the lore and much of the superstitious and occult aspects of early working of metals and the symbolism involved in marking and imbuement of blades.

It seems a great deal of superstition and in degree, fear, was held toward blacksmiths and blade forgers. They were considered in league with the forces of darkness as much of their process was regulated by the color of the metal which was better gauged in relative darkness.
Much of this is described in "Cut and Thrust Weapons", E. Wagner, Prague, 1967.

While some of these mentions of blood, urine and other odd substances or elements seem rather silly in these perspectives, the minerals and chemical properties in them were actually providing the catalysts for some of these processes.
Such processes were recorded in a kind of allegorical context in alchemy and other pre-scientific methods so being read in modern times obviously presents a rather extraordinary image.

In forging steel in places in Europe there were instances of adding horseshoes which were from combat horses which had seen battle, and other similarly venerated items. Clearly these associations were irrelevant, but the iron from the horseshoe itself added carbon or whatever component was necessary to the metal forged and its quality.

In many cases in metal forging of wootz etc. the addition of certain vegetal and botanical materials elevated necessary chemical compounds to enhance the quality of the metal. While the results were of course technically chemical reactions, we can see how the nature of these can be seen superstitiously.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote