View Single Post
Old 28th August 2021, 06:15 PM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am curious on the definitions of the word APRAG. What source describes this word in Hindi? also how is this word translated to STANDPAT in English?
I do appreciate the inclusion of this research, but am unable to locate corroboration.

As far as the pistol being German made, and in English context that is quite understandable. English officers, who of course provided their own weapons, often commissioned custom inscriptions.
It is indeed compelling to consider these bound, turbaned figures as rebels of the 1857 insurrection in India, but puzzling why such a patriotic slogan and these figures would be on an English gun (though German made).

I cannot see the name or term Lakshmibai on the gun, where is it located?
The 'dragon' on the hammer arms seems to be a dog rather than dragon.

Perhaps this gun was for someone who remained allied to the British?
but then why celebrate the act of rebelling with the term 'standpat'?
The idea of a Hindu leader or person of status having such a pistol seems rather unlikely.

Perhaps there were British who opposed the actions to suppress the rebellion? It's not as if we dont have such opposition against war or authoritarian control these days. Perhaps a pacifist in this case?
Just thoughts on the perplexing motif on this pistol, and not meant to stir editorial reactions.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote