View Single Post
Old 16th March 2005, 05:09 AM   #22
Andrew

Cool

A very thought-provoking thread, Antonio.

Quote:
Question 1
What is the real driving force behind your interest in swords? Was it initially based on an adult interest for ethnography and anthropology or was it originally based on and evolution from childhood or adolescent fantasy?
I've always liked swords and other weapons. 20 years of martial arts training combined with having a policeman for a father (guns, knives and other weapons were common in my home growing up) further stimulated my interest.

As an adult, my undergraduate studies in sociology and anthropology meshed well with my martial arts related interests. The end result was an interest in collecting edged weapons.

Quote:
Question 2
Is your particular interest in ethnographic weapons based on any specific reason?

a. such as being a national of the country from where those weapons are originated?
b. if not, what particular reasons are behind your attraction?
I'm a Korean stylist, so I ended up looking elsewhere for edged weapon inspriration, as information on Korean weapons was, at the time (pre internet for me) nearly non-existant. Japanese sword information was, comparitavely, abundant, and I began collecting gunto. I prefer older, "real" pieces, and I could afford these on a student's budget.

A few years ago, I picked up my first dha from ebay. Upon reciept, I was immediately attracted to the feel and look of the weapon, found this site through Google, and have liquidated nearly everything else in my collection to make room for more dha. In my studies of dha, I've grown to love learning about the peoples and cultures that use(d) them, and their history.

Quote:
Question 3
In some tribes of Africa, smiths are outcasts that live outside the village.
They are uncircumcised, therefore they posses both the masculine and the feminine, symbolically having the entirety which confers them, as in the Congo culture, the necessary protection to work iron, a product of Mother Earth's womb extraction.
This being said, some shapes may have a magical connotation. And I am referring specifically to the Kris, be it Indonesian, Malay or Philippino.
My question is divided into the following:
  • does the snake preside over its shape?
  • if that is true, does it mean to confer speed or just magic or some other meaning?
  • what is the meaning of the word kris?
I thank you for your contribution to my enlightment, gentlemen.
Best regards.
I'll defer to others more learned on this.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote