View Single Post
Old 27th December 2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Atlantia

Hi Jim,

Thanks mate.
I remember 'donkeys years ago' seeing some documentary about the reality of the 'western shootout' as opposed to the hollywood version we grew up with, and they devoted some time to modifications.
The one that sticks in my mind was seeing revolvers with the barrels cut back to an inch or two. Definately cut too, looked horrible.
Unfortunately, all these years later, I can't remember if any of them were attributed to specific individuals or not.
Thinking about it I can see your points completely, and I wonder if these were more for concealment in clothing than pulling from a rig (bloody memory, wish I could remember where I'd seen them...)
Also, you are of course right about the longer barrels, and I'm sure anyone who'se fired an old gun knows that one of the most striking things about them, is the amount of sparks/smoke and general 'mess'.
cap and ball revolver slow motion
I wonder what (and perhaps one of the 'black powder' enthusiasts could help with this) the potential muzzle velocity would be from these barrel-less weapons? I seriously doubt that even with a very tight seal they'd have much range as there can't be more than an inch of travel before the projectile is exiting. But I bet they'd be scary as hell close-up, especially as a 'stab and shoot' close quarters weapon.
As you quite rightly point out, they're certainly a fire risk! LOL
If the intention was to 'literally' press them into someone and fire, then the energy would be concentrated into the smallest possible area (such as it is). I can imagine them being fairly devastating.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote