View Single Post
Old 7th March 2023, 10:39 AM   #18
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post
thank you for your advise I will certainly take it to heart. 🙏🏼
The described TLC receives all what comes to my collection. Oil to all natural materials gives them back the "oily wetness" (I don't know to describe it better) they have lost in time. And rust is to be avoided, corrosion is active and dangerous.

Quote:
I am curious to see what an appropriate scabbard would be, not that I think there is any chance that I ever come across one but just out of curiosity.
I have never seen one!

Quote:
Another thing is the D guard. It has, on the D guard which is not fixed to the hilt, a mark where, quite obviously would have been a hole to put a screw or a nail to fix the blade in place, nobody did go through with that and the guard was never fixed to the hilt. I have been debating, with myself, whether this would be a good idea or not it really adds nothing to the way you can grip the sword , note that in this thread this similar sword has that screw, also that sword too has no scabbard (at least not one shown in the pictures)

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5089
I personally would attach the guard, but not with a screw or nail I will have by hand. It should be something which fits with the style. I think that it is an adequate "restoration".

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote