View Single Post
Old 17th May 2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Absolutely perfectly explained Nando!
The Toledo reputation long established had remained, while the Castilian economy was in virtual collapse in the 17th and well through 18th. The German smiths, i.e. Coel, had also been present among Spanish makers, but the industry itself basically deferred to Solingen.

Regarding the arrow mark on the bilbo, while I can only estimate without an image, I would suggest that it may have developed from that mark of crossed arrows used by J Konigs (1587-1607) or further to the other chronology the Clauberg group (1847-1866). Obviously the 'bilbo' as a military 'arming' type sword seems to have been used from late in the first half of the 18th c. into the 19th, and saw extensive Spanish colonial use in Cuba, and Gulf regions with eventual move into interior New Spain.
It has been well established that Solingen produced many blades for the Spanish and destined for colonial mounts from around 1760s possibly even earlier. Many were of course those with 'Spanish motto' and the familiar hexagon section 'dragoon' blades.

I dont know which German smiths were in the Americas, but am curious on more on this. Perhaps related to Eickhorn who was a main supplier of swords and blades to Latin America by end of the 19thc.

Returning to this magnificent example arming rapier, I would say it likely is from first quarter 18th c. and as noted certainly Caribbean. While obviously the hilt is well crafted it is known that Spanish artisans were by this time well established in the ports of call on the Spanish Main.
To add a dash of literary romanticism this is the period immediately following the end of the 'Golden Age' of piracy, and in regions where the Spanish Main was ever active, well within that of the immortal work of Stevenson, "Treasure Island". Spanish officers in the New World still used these kinds of swords while at sea as well as ashore, and it is well known despite the often noted 'cavalry' character in blade length. I believe this was largely in that officers used swords in directing and command, and these were well visible, as officers were not typically in the melee where short, stout blades were more effective.

Well done Captain Mark!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote