Thread: Baskethilt
View Single Post
Old 5th June 2005, 10:56 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Jeff,
I have been hoping that someone out there might find a reference or example of pre-1750 provenance blade with these facially enhanced crescent moon and sun. Meanwhile I have been looking more into the use of these images on blades, which are clearly associated with the allegorically and talismanically symbolized figures that became popular through cabbalistic and occult literature. Without going into the complexities of such esoterica, it seems very apparant that the style of these inscribed images are very similar to the 18th century artwork seen on tarot cards and similar occult material.

As discussed, the blade on your sword seems clearly of mid to third quarter eighteenth century as well as clearly a Solingen product, the hilt being Scottish and also of that period. In reviewing material on blades with such 'cabbalistic' or occult images it does seem that they typically do occur primarily on c.1750 blades, especially on 'hunting' swords. In previous discussions discussing these markings on blades we have noted references to many such swords intended for use by the gentry as for hunt as well as 'riding' swords for protection while travelling. In "Schools and Masters of Fence" (Egerton Castle, 1885, p.42), it is noted that magical signs often appeared on hunting swords produced in Germany and the etching of hunting scenes often accompanied such motif. Curiously, the author notes that "...in the second half of the eighteenth century, decoration on the blades was confined to a band of interlaced strapwork with some sprays of foliage or martial trophies".

This seems to suggest that use of such magical motif actually declined, rather than acceded after 1750, at least on hunting weapons. This would imply that popularity of such 'magical' motif had waned by then at least in hunting swords intended for German use.....however it seems established that cessation of such trends would not necessarily impact the trade blade sector (consider the Solingen blades thus marked found on 19th century kaskaras).

While this information does not really address the search for pre-1750 use of these symbols, it does seem interesting regarding the established use of them. We know that the crescent moon image was widely used in antiquity and is also noted used as a stylized stamp or marking by Spanish smiths for one example (Juan Martinez of Toledo, mid 16th c. , Wagner, p.106). As we have noted, Spain was a main source for Solingen prototypes and much of the occult esoterica that entered Europe as well. We still need to see actual examples of the faced crescent moon on earlier blades as we have discussed, but the artistic style of the example on your blade seems clearly mid-18th c. as we have agreed.

I hope others might come in on this and give us more on such examples and especially on Peter Munich. As always, I wonder more on this identity, and exactly where and what period he actually worked. The Oakeshott attribution on the 18th century English baskethilt seems puzzling as well, with a blade seemingly comparable in date to yours and I agree with your suggestion of the Wagner reference as plausibly the root of the Munich attribution.

All the best ,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 5th June 2005 at 11:12 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote