Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Balinese Keris Kebo Lager for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27516)

Athanase 16th December 2021 06:56 PM

Balinese Keris Kebo Lager for comment

3 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Here is one of the 3 Keris from Bali that I bought in a big batch (the same as the pendok). I'll show you the other two Balinese Keris later.

This lot comes from the great-grandfather of a 50-year-old woman. This great-grandfather was an importer of Indonesian art in France (Bordeaux).
I estimated the period of activity between 1925 and 1970.

The handle is held by hair wrapped around the pesi.

A. G. Maisey 16th December 2021 07:37 PM

This blade displays indicators that would seem to place it as North Coast Jawa, specifically Tuban Pajajaran.

My guess is it was probably a trade blade and into North Bali.

Athanase 16th December 2021 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you.

I have the impression that the blade has been shortened a bit.
The base is very well preserved but the more you advance towards the point the more it seems to have been eaten away by rust or acid in the past.

A. G. Maisey 16th December 2021 08:31 PM

What you describe about erosion towards the point is the normal reaction to heat treatment of the blade.

Very often keris blades are hardened for only the first few inches and it is almost unheard of that hardening will ever move into the sorsoran. The hardened steel erodes much more easily than unhardened steel and iron. Keris blades were never drawn, only hardened, the laminated plates of pamor comprised of iron & nickelous material provided protection against breakage. The softer unhardened section of blade acted as a "shock absorber" and permitted a blade to bend without breaking.

Thanks for the pic of the gonjo top. Definitely a North Coast Jawa blade, definitely classifiable as Tuban Pajajaran.

This is an old blade, so it is entirely possible that it has lost some of its length.

It is not at all unusual to find Jawa blades in Balinese dress, and this is especially the case with Balinese keris that are regarded as family pusakas.

Mickey the Finn 13th February 2022 09:01 AM

Just out of curiosity, and if you do not mind me asking: is it possible that this keris was once a part of the Charles Buttin collection?

If you would rather not say either way, I do understand.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Mickey

Athanase 16th February 2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey the Finn (Post 269844)
Just out of curiosity, and if you do not mind me asking: is it possible that this keris was once a part of the Charles Buttin collection?

If you would rather not say either way, I do understand.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Mickey

I do not think so.
This Kriss was bought by the previous owner 20 years ago near Bordeaux, from a lady (now aged 45-55) whose great grandfather was an importer of Indonesian crafts. This gentleman seems to have ceased his activity at the end of the 70s. That's what the seller told me.

Mickey the Finn 4th March 2022 01:09 PM

Thank you for your reply, M. Athanase.