Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Borneo(?) Parang (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22048)

russel 3rd November 2016 10:30 AM

Borneo(?) Parang

2 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

Some time ago I was fortunate enough to secure this rather nice Parang which I am confident originates from Borneo. My assumption is based mainly on the carvings, which are very similar to those illustrated by Banks (Sea Dayak Carving). I am, of course, no expert and am happy to entertain another origin if sufficient evidence can be provided.

The only other similar example I have been able to find on the forum is this one:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...y+type+panabas

In that thread there was some discussion of these being a Moro weapon/tool, which doesn't sit well with my (albeit limited) knowledge. I would greatly appreciate forum members' thoughts.

Details:
Overall length = 63.5 cm
Blade length = 45 cm
Blade thickness = 7 mm (at ferrule)

Cheers, Russel

russel 3rd November 2016 10:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I should also mention the (yet again) extraordinary work Robert did in bringing this Parang back to life. It was in quite a sorry state when purchased, as usual Robert did an amazing job. Following are a couple of images prior to his efforts.

colin henshaw 3rd November 2016 11:16 AM

Not my area really, but I like it - great carving to the sheath. :)

Sajen 3rd November 2016 01:32 PM

Hello Russel,

what a great find! Can't help with a name and know this type of sword also only from the thread you provided.

Great work from Robert as always, how he has repaired the nicks in the edge?

Regards,
Detlef

Battara 3rd November 2016 04:26 PM

Not often you see the scabbards for these.

There were and are still Moros on the east and north east of Borneo. This type of ukkil could easily be Moro.

David 3rd November 2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
...how he has repaired the nicks in the edge?

That baffles me a bit as well. :shrug:

mariusgmioc 3rd November 2016 06:04 PM

I'm mechanical engineer but still I cannot fathom how were the repairs to the blade done?! :confused:

Wow!

PS: Who is Robert? Is he some kind of magician who can make steel grow back?! :shrug:

carlos 3rd November 2016 06:23 PM

Beautiful sword !!! The engraved sheath is marvellous !!
Maybe the blade has been cut? ?
Best regards
Carlos

Robert 3rd November 2016 09:18 PM

The blade's edge was not ground down or the tip reprofiled. The nicks in the blade as well as the broken tip were welded back by the use of both mig and tig welding and the use of heatsink paste. As I have already promised Detlef a line drawing showing how this was accomplished if anyone else is interested I will also post the drawing here as well. Please remember this procedure it not one to be taken on by anyone who is not an accomplished welder in both methods that I have mentioned and can easily result in damaging the blade even more or its complete ruin if not done properly. Thank you all for your kind words in reference to my work.

Best,
Robert

russel 4th November 2016 12:14 AM

Close-ups

1 Attachment(s)
Before:

russel 4th November 2016 12:16 AM

Close-ups

1 Attachment(s)
After:

mariusgmioc 4th November 2016 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert
The blade's edge was not ground down or the tip reprofiled. The nicks in the blade as well as the broken tip were welded back by the use of both mig and tig welding and the use of heatsink paste. As I have already promised Detlef a line drawing showing how this was accomplished if anyone else is interested I will also post the drawing here as well. Please remember this procedure it not one to be taken on by anyone who is not an accomplished welder in both methods that I have mentioned and can easily result in damaging the blade even more or its complete ruin if not done properly. Thank you all for your kind words in reference to my work.

Best,
Robert

WOW!

I am familiar with the procedures you described but I still couldn't fathom that you can achieve this level of precision. What you did is way beyond norm in the craft and, in my oppinion goes more in the field of art.

Thank you very much for sharing with us the secrets of your "magic"!!! :)

mariusgmioc 4th November 2016 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russel
After:

Congratulations for this magnificent piece and for the equally magnificent restoration work!

Thank you for sharing it with us!

:)

Sajen 4th November 2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Congratulations for this magnificent piece and for the equally magnificent restoration work!

Thank you for sharing it with us!

:)

I second this! :) :cool: :eek:

Athanase 5th November 2016 11:28 AM

Congratulations, great job of restoration and beautiful parang.

Little question :
I've 2 cracked blades of the cutting until 2/3 of its width.
With a similar technique would it be possible to re-weld the cracks?

Sajen 5th November 2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athanase
Little question :
I've 2 cracked blades of the cutting until 2/3 of its width.
With a similar technique would it be possible to re-weld the cracks?

Have a look here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21903

Battara 5th November 2016 06:23 PM

I would say yes. Russel's fine work and technique on this steel is the only way outside of reforging that would work.

A much lesser technique would be brazing, but that would truly weaken the blade in comparison to this.

Sajen 5th November 2016 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Russel's fine work and technique on this steel is the only way outside of reforging that would work.

Hi Jose,

it's Robert's fine work and not Russel's. Just for clarification. :)

Best regards,
Detlef

David 5th November 2016 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert
The nicks in the blade as well as the broken tip were welded back by the use of both mig and tig welding and the use of heatsink paste

hmmmm, well, it still looks like witchcraft to me... ;)

Rafngard 7th November 2016 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
hmmmm, well, it still looks like witchcraft to me... ;)

I'm with David on this one.

Amazing piece, amazing restoration, and really, just amazing all round.

Have fun,
Leif

Battara 7th November 2016 03:20 PM

Robert don't you have a degree from Hogwarts? :D

CharlesS 7th November 2016 03:41 PM

WOW! I have never seen a blade restored liked that! Very impressive!...not to mention a lovely piece!

asomotif 8th November 2016 12:31 PM

This wonderfull restoration draws the attention a bit from the original question. :)

is this a Moro / Sea dayak combi ?
I have never seen this before. I agree on the carvings.

I hope Maurice and Michael can give their opinion ?

Best regards,
Willem

Roland_M 8th November 2016 12:43 PM

Mr. Robert,

you are a magician. I saw some of your jobs on Detlefs swords and this is not exaggerated, I often have an open mouth "how could he do this, amazing, gigantic!"

Again a great restoration, you are my hero and I wish I could have only 10% of your skills.

Absolutely fantastic!

Best wishes,
Roland